Glucosamine for Shepherds

Old July 27th 03, 05:56 AM
Jo Wolf

Non-weight-bearing exercise will be helpful to keep the muscles strong
and help hold the hip joints in place. It's called.... Swimming! Also
walking...

Keep this rascal Slim. An extra pound is extra damage is extra pain.

I like to use Glyco-Flex, a green sea mussel compound, along with the
glucosamine.... they boost each other. Several of the vet supply
companies, such as KV Vet Supply, carry this. There are newer versions
that combine the two, as well.... Same mfgr....

Start now to save money for hip replacement surgery or some other pain
relief surgery. Then you'll have it when the time comes.

Hopefully, you have talked with the breeder, who has told you to get
this dog off puppy food ASAP, and definitely to continue with the
glucosamine, and to keep extra weight off and good muscle condition
on.......

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old July 27th 03, 11:33 AM

"cplus" wrote in message
le.rogers.com...
We've recently aquired a 6yr old german shepherd with a mild case of

either
hip displasia or arthritis and is currently on 2 glucosamine tablets a

day.
Aside from being a little slow (along with a hop when he runs) he seems to
be in no pain.

Also, is there anything else I could/should be doing to keep him from
getting any worse (as much as I can).

.........Yes, get an X-ray. Could be DM and not just arthritis or hip
dysplasia.

Old July 27th 03, 01:52 PM
Mr B

My GOlden Retriever (65 lbs) Has a joint issue with one of her elbows and we use a supplement as
well. We were put on Glyco-Flex II initially by our vet. Each tablet contains 500mg of glucosamine
and 500mg of something called MCM or something like that.

For the first month we were instructed to give her 3 tablets a day. After that we went down to 2
tablets a day.

However, now we just use a generic Glucosamine tablet from WalGreen because it's abot have the price
and has the exact same ingredients. THe Glyco-Flex II has a couple extra things like flavoring for
dogs and such, but the 500mg GLuc and 500mg MCM are the same.

Since your shephard is only a bit heavier than my Golden, yo'd be fine with 3 per day to start and 2
per day after that.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 01:32:08 GMT, "cplus" wrote:

Hi all.

We've recently aquired a 6yr old german shepherd with a mild case of either
hip displasia or arthritis and is currently on 2 glucosamine tablets a day.
Aside from being a little slow (along with a hop when he runs) he seems to
be in no pain.

My question is how large of a dosage does he need (I believe he's about
75lbs or so). I also read that the liquid tablets absorb much better.

Also, is there anything else I could/should be doing to keep him from
getting any worse (as much as I can).

Thanks.
Cplus

Old July 27th 03, 05:34 PM
Rick

I'd add Arthri-Soothe to the Glycoflex. It's available from KV Vet Supply.

rick
Old July 27th 03, 05:34 PM
Rick