The natives are restless

Old October 31st 03, 01:31 PM
Chris Williams

Default The natives are restless

Our shelter is located in a small, incorporated community which,
oddly, is not dog-friendly. When the city council recently declared a
large park off-limits for dogs, rebellion grew. Dog-owners got that
order rescinded, and, empowered, are demanding other goodies.
One couple has come up with an interesting proposal (below). As I
read it, they would rent the space, then screen dogs (I assume they mean
screen owners) and charge admission.
Has anyone had experience with a private dog-park?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Dog Lovers want to Rent Baseball Park
Dogs at Play on a Summer Day (AP)
SEAL BEACH, Calif. =97 Dog lovers have found their field of canine
dreams.
The Seal Beach Spoiled Dogs Society wants to rent the fenced Zoeter
Field baseball park on weekend mornings for the exclusive use of its
pets.
"We think our children should be allowed to play ball together just like
any other Little League team. The only difference is that other people's
children have two legs. Ours have four," said Ron Stevenson, one of 15
human members of the society.
Like others in the group, Stevenson and wife Joy lavish their love and
attention on their golden retriever, 4-year-old San Maria Buena Ventura.
The group petitioned the city recently for a six-month trial permit to
allow their dogs to run freely at Zoeter Field.
The proposal is a private and inexpensive alternative to a full-time dog
park, society members said, adding they don't want a public park open to
all canines.
"We want to be able to screen the dogs that join to make sure they're
compatible with the mix so that we don't have to deal with aggressive
dogs," Stevenson said.
City officials expressed concerns about dog feces in the same grass that
youth groups and sports leagues use and they are wary of setting a
precedent for groups wanting to reserve neighborhood park space for
their "canine athletes."
Councilman Paul Yost said he was considering mandatory doggie diapers as
a condition of the permit.
Still, others say it's worth a try.
"They want to use an empty field early in the morning on weekends. Land
is expensive, and this is a good way of making the most out of what we
have," Councilman Shawn Boyd said.
The society said it will continue to lobby council members on the
proposal.

http://community.webtv.net/k9apple/Mac

Old October 31st 03, 02:05 PM
Suja

Chris Williams wrote:

One couple has come up with an interesting proposal (below).

Boy, do I have a lot of issues with this proposal!

Has anyone had experience with a private dog-park?

Nope. But, DH and I had thought about it. If we fence in our back
yard, it would be plenty big for tons of dogs.

The Seal Beach Spoiled Dogs Society

Wish they'd name themselves something else. "Spoiled" dogs or kids
generally conjures up images of unruly/ill mannered critters.

wants to rent the fenced Zoeter
Field baseball park on weekend mornings for the exclusive use of its
pets.

I'd have concerns about people keeping the place clean, and kids and
such rolling around in doggie feces/urine.

"We think our children should be allowed to play ball together just like
any other Little League team. The only difference is that other people's
children have two legs. Ours have four," said Ron Stevenson, one of 15
human members of the society.

Oh dear god! They think dogs are children on 4 legs? I'm starting to
think that I won't exactly get along with these folks.

The proposal is a private and inexpensive alternative to a full-time dog
park, society members said, adding they don't want a public park open to
all canines.

Why not? People who are dog owners still make contributions to the
city's revenue, so why shouldn't they want a dog park?

"We want to be able to screen the dogs that join to make sure they're
compatible with the mix so that we don't have to deal with aggressive
dogs," Stevenson said.

Who screens the dogs? What qualifications do they have to make them
good at screening? How do they judge whether a dog is "aggressive" or
not? All serious questions, since the dog park that I go to is
considered the "aggressive" dog park. The other ones nearby don't allow
dogs to use their teeth for playing, the dogs can't bark or growl at
each other (even in play), and generally, WWF style stuff is frowned
upon. Two days back, a lady came in with her GR. The dog wanted to
play with Khan, and was swatting at his face, and attempting the jump up
and bump chests type stuff. The lady kept intervening, telling her dog
'No, we don't play like that'. I said that it was fine since they were
getting along great. The owner replied that if you let her dog get
started, he'll play rough. So does Khan, said I. But then he'll get a
couple of scratches, she said. At that point, I called my dog off and
walked off to keep myself from bursting out laughing. I find bumps and
bruises on my dog all the time. I used to have bumps and bruises all
over me all the time as a kid. Some people wouldn't understand.

Suja

Old October 31st 03, 02:31 PM
KrisHur

I'm all for dog parks (our proposal goes before the town board in January)
but do not like the idea of putting one where children play. People
occasionally miss poops and when the children slide to catch a ball
outfield... Nor do I like the idea of children playing where lots of dogs
pee.

When we approached one of the members of our town board he suggested a very
similar set up with the elementary school's huge fenced in soccer field, we
quickly dismissed that idea. One forgotten poop that a child steps in could
be the end of it.

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

=================================
Dog Lovers want to Rent Baseball Park
Dogs at Play on a Summer Day (AP)
SEAL BEACH, Calif. - Dog lovers have found their field of canine

Old October 31st 03, 02:43 PM
Cate

[piggybacking because OE doesn't insert any when I reply to WebTVers.]

"Suja" wrote in message

Chris Williams wrote:

The Seal Beach Spoiled Dogs Society

Wish they'd name themselves something else. "Spoiled" dogs or kids
generally conjures up images of unruly/ill mannered critters.

I have no problem with it as long as they're not pretending they're anything
but a country club for dogs.

wants to rent the fenced Zoeter
Field baseball park on weekend mornings for the exclusive use of its
pets.

I'd have concerns about people keeping the place clean, and kids and
such rolling around in doggie feces/urine.

I agree. No other spaces available? Parks, or portions of parks?

"We think our children should be allowed to play ball together just like
any other Little League team. The only difference is that other people's
children have two legs. Ours have four," said Ron Stevenson, one of 15
human members of the society.

Oh dear god! They think dogs are children on 4 legs? I'm starting to
think that I won't exactly get along with these folks.

I think calling dogs furkids and such is the wrong tack to take when putting
forth a proposal about the benefits to dogs and humans of dog socialization
and exercise. Beyond the fact that that quote is a little creepy, it
detracts from the proposal because it infantilizes the dogs.

The proposal is a private and inexpensive alternative to a full-time dog
park, society members said, adding they don't want a public park open to
all canines.

Why not? People who are dog owners still make contributions to the
city's revenue, so why shouldn't they want a dog park?

It's a country club. I understand not wanting to mingle with unknown dogs,
or even dogs known to be nasty but with clueless owners who still parade
their dogs at a dog park, but if you want guarantees like that, you should
buy private property and have play dates.

"We want to be able to screen the dogs that join to make sure they're
compatible with the mix so that we don't have to deal with aggressive
dogs," Stevenson said.

Who screens the dogs? What qualifications do they have to make them
good at screening? How do they judge whether a dog is "aggressive" or
not?

Exactly. Will it be the same person every morning, every hour that this club
operates? If not, how is the standard determined and applied? These are
important questions because it's a public space that's already paid for by
the people wanting to use it.

All serious questions, since the dog park that I go to is
considered the "aggressive" dog park. The other ones nearby don't allow
dogs to use their teeth for playing, the dogs can't bark or growl at
each other (even in play),

boggle Are these written rules or is it known and enforced through peer
pressure?

and generally, WWF style stuff is frowned
upon. Two days back, a lady came in with her GR. The dog wanted to
play with Khan, and was swatting at his face, and attempting the jump up
and bump chests type stuff. The lady kept intervening, telling her dog
'No, we don't play like that'.

She sounds like a perfect candidate for this dog country club.

Cate