cherry eye in shitzu

Old July 28th 03, 09:38 PM
Kelly

Default cherry eye in shitzu

Hi,

My puppy, 4 months has a cherry eye.
Is it wise to take it out or just leave
it there? This protruding reddish flesh
is something like a tear gland.
If it will be taken out, what are the disadvantage?
Will the vet take it out or just relocate it?

Thanks.
Kelly

Old July 29th 03, 03:01 AM
crosem

It is unwise to just leave it, as it can cause the sight in the eye to be
lost, due to scratching of the cornea. The vet will put in a couple of
stitches to hold this third eyelid in position, easy as pie. HOWEVER,
prices differ hugely...my doggie had two, and we were quoted $500 here in
Austin, TX. Vet in Conroe, TX, which had a relationship w/ the multi-branch
rescue group from when cometh my doggie and did them both for under $200,
including antibiotic ointment and said that was plenty, he still made a
profit. Go figure!

Old July 29th 03, 03:01 AM
crosem