Too late for Zack and J-Lo

Old October 31st 03, 10:50 PM
Chris Williams

Default Too late for Zack and J-Lo

May have posted awhile back about my mechanic getting two PB
littermates. He's clueless, so I took them for worming and shots and
began a little training. Called Monday to remind him not to feed them
because I was taking them for spay and neuter the next day. He said
they'd been stolen over the weekend. Here, and I suppose most
everywhere, that means they've probably been taken for dog-fighting.
Those sweet, sweet dogs. I've been in a depressed fog all week.
Just got a notice from HSUS that Senator Ensign unexpectedly added an
amendment to the otherwise lousy 'Healthy Forests' bill that would
increase the penalties for dogfighting. Look it over and consider
contacting your representative. For Zack and J-Lo.

=================================
SPECIAL EDITION --- October 31, 2003
A Project of The Humane Society of the United States and The Fund for
Animals
http://www.humanelines.org/
ANIMALS HAVE HAD TWO SIGNIFICANT VICTORIES IN THE LAST 24 HOURS IN THE
UNITED STATES SENATE!
Late last night, the Senate passed an amendment introduced by Senator
John Ensign (R-NV) to strengthen the federal animal fighting law,
establishing a felony-level penalty for any interstate movement or
foreign commerce in fighting dogs or birds. The amendment --which
includes all of the same language contained in S. 736, the animal
fighting bill that Ensign introduced earlier this year with Senator
Maria Cantwell (D-WA) and Wayne Allard (R-CO)-- also makes it a felony
to move cockfighting implements in interstate or foreign commerce. Now
the animal fighting amendment, attached to H.R. 1904, the "Healthy
Forests Initiative," is likely to be considered by a House-Senate
conference committee that would convene to hammer out a final version of
the larger bill.
And just this morning, the Senate unanimously passed S. 269, a bill by
Senator Jim Jeffords (I-VT) and Senator Ensign to ban the interstate
transport of captive lions, tigers, and other big cats for the exotic
pet trade. This action comes in the wake of several high-profile
incidents involving big cats and their handlers. We hope that the House
takes up a similar bill within the next week, with the final version to
go to President Bush for his signature.
Senator Ensign's anti-animal fighting amendment in particular is a
welcome surprise because it was added to H.R. 1904 at the last minute
through determined efforts of Senator Ensign, along with 10 other
members of the Senate. The amendment, if adopted into law, will
significantly strengthen the federal animal fighting law and crack down
on rampant dog fighting and cockfighting throughout the nation.
Although this is a great step forward in passing the federal animal
fighting measure, there is still one major step left in the battle. We
need to be sure that the animal fighting language stays in the final
bill sent to the President. Because the House version of the Healthy
Forests Initiative, which was passed last month, did not contain the
animal fighting amendment, there is still a possibility that the final
version will not contain the amendment.
WHAT YOU CAN DO:
One of the best ways to signal to leaders of the U.S. House of
Representatives that the animal fighting language should be included in
the bill is to build the list of cosponsors for the House animal
fighting bill, H.R. 1532, by Representatives Roscoe Bartlett (R-MD) and
Robert Andrews (D-NJ). Urge your U.S. Representative to cosponsor H.R.
1532 and to support including this language in the final version of the
"Healthy Forests Initiative." You can see if your U.S. Representative is
already a cosponsor of H.R. 1532 at
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquer...8:HR01532:@@@P .
You can identify who your U.S. Representative is, and find correct
contact information at http://www.congress.org . You can call the
Capitol Switchboard at 202-224-3121 and be connect to your U.S.
Representative.

Old November 1st 03, 12:02 AM

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Sorry about the OT. It's just that if somebody pulled that kind of
crap where I work, I'd fire their sorry ass.

I completely agree with you, but a little piece of me is
delighted to hear that they're doing it about something
worthwhile instead of an outrageous slab of pork.

The image is Adam Smith. The reality is Enron -- Joseph Stiglitz

Old November 1st 03, 12:02 AM

Lee DeRaud wrote:
Sorry about the OT. It's just that if somebody pulled that kind of
crap where I work, I'd fire their sorry ass.

I completely agree with you, but a little piece of me is
delighted to hear that they're doing it about something
worthwhile instead of an outrageous slab of pork.

The image is Adam Smith. The reality is Enron -- Joseph Stiglitz

About getting up early or going to bed late... Kind2dogs Dog behavior 0 October 15th 03 09:12 PM
About getting up early or going to bed late... Kind2dogs Dog behavior 0 October 15th 03 09:12 PM
UP LATE! Leah Dog behavior 41 September 23rd 03 03:48 PM
Better late than never: Congrates..., and Saddend about the sad news Lone Hansen Dog behavior 2 August 27th 03 01:12 PM
Better late than never: Congrates..., and Saddend about the sad news Lone Hansen Dog behavior 0 August 27th 03 04:26 AM