The natives are restless

Old October 31st 03, 02:31 PM
Chris Williams

Default The natives are restless

Our shelter is located in a small, incorporated community which,
oddly, is not dog-friendly. When the city council recently declared a
large park off-limits for dogs, rebellion grew. Dog-owners got that
order rescinded, and, empowered, are demanding other goodies.
One couple has come up with an interesting proposal (below). As I
read it, they would rent the space, then screen dogs (I assume they mean
screen owners) and charge admission.
Has anyone had experience with a private dog-park?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3 D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Dog Lovers want to Rent Baseball Park
Dogs at Play on a Summer Day (AP)
SEAL BEACH, Calif. =97 Dog lovers have found their field of canine
dreams.
The Seal Beach Spoiled Dogs Society wants to rent the fenced Zoeter
Field baseball park on weekend mornings for the exclusive use of its
pets.
"We think our children should be allowed to play ball together just like
any other Little League team. The only difference is that other people's
children have two legs. Ours have four," said Ron Stevenson, one of 15
human members of the society.
Like others in the group, Stevenson and wife Joy lavish their love and
attention on their golden retriever, 4-year-old San Maria Buena Ventura.
The group petitioned the city recently for a six-month trial permit to
allow their dogs to run freely at Zoeter Field.
The proposal is a private and inexpensive alternative to a full-time dog
park, society members said, adding they don't want a public park open to
all canines.
"We want to be able to screen the dogs that join to make sure they're
compatible with the mix so that we don't have to deal with aggressive
dogs," Stevenson said.
City officials expressed concerns about dog feces in the same grass that
youth groups and sports leagues use and they are wary of setting a
precedent for groups wanting to reserve neighborhood park space for
their "canine athletes."
Councilman Paul Yost said he was considering mandatory doggie diapers as
a condition of the permit.
Still, others say it's worth a try.
"They want to use an empty field early in the morning on weekends. Land
is expensive, and this is a good way of making the most out of what we
have," Councilman Shawn Boyd said.
The society said it will continue to lobby council members on the
proposal.

http://community.webtv.net/k9apple/Mac