Almonds! No No No!

Old July 29th 03, 05:06 PM
David and Nan Greenly

Default Almonds! No No No!

Notice Almonds are second on the list....ever think of asking your vet what
you can feed you dog? Before you give advice you should check your facts.
Nan Greenly
http://www.4netmarketing.com/lexusnessie.htm

These plants are poisonous to dogs and puppies.

.. algae

. almonds

. amaryllis

. apricots

. arrowhead vine

. asparagus fern

. autumn crocus

. azalea

. blackberry

. black-eyed Susan

. black nightshade

. bleeding heart

. boxwood

. bracken or brake fern

. buckeye

. buttercups

. cactus (spines)

. caladium

. calla lily

. castor beans

. ceriman

. charming dieffenbachia

. cherry

. Chinese evergreen

. chokecherry

. Christmas rose

. chrysan- themum

. cineraria

. clematis

. climbing nightshade

. cordatum

. corn plant

. cornstalk plant

. crabgrass

. crocus

. croton

. crown of thorns

. Cuban laurel

. daffodil

. devil's ivy

. dumb cane

. Easter lily

. elder- berry

. eleph- ant's ear

. emerald feather

. English holly

. ecalyptus

. fiddle-leaf fig

. foxglove

. glory lily

. gold dust dracaena

. helle- borus

. hemlock

. holly berries

. hyacinth

. hydr- angea

. iris

. ivy

. jack-in-the-pulpit

. Japanese show lily

. jasmine

. Jeru- salem cherry

. jonquil

. kalan- choe

. laburnum

. lantana

. larkspur

. ligustrum

. lily of the valley

. marble queen

. mari- juana

. mistletoe

. mons- hood

. morning glory

. mush- rooms

. narcissus

. neph- thytis

. nettles

. nutmeg

. oleander

. onion

. oriental lily

. peace lily

. peach

. pencil cactus

. periwinkle

. philo- dendron

. plumosa fern

. poinsettia

. poison hemlock

. poison ivy

. poison oak

. pokeweed

. potato

. precatory beans

. primrose

. privet

. purple foxglove

. red emerald

. red princess

. rhodo- dendron

. rhubarb

. rubber plants

. sago lily

. skunk cabbage

. spider plant

. spring bulbs

. string of pearls

. Swiss cheese plant

. taro vine

. tiger lily

. tinsel tree

. tobacco

. tomato plant

. tulip

. wandering Jew

. water hemlock

. wild black cherry

. wisteria

. yellow jasmine

. yew

Old July 29th 03, 05:34 PM

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, David and Nan Greenly wrote:

. algae

um, would that be *all* species of algae?

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old July 29th 03, 06:01 PM
Michael A. Ball

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:06:32 -0500, "David and Nan Greenly" wrote:

Notice Almonds are second on the list....ever think of asking your vet what
you can feed you dog? Before you give advice you should check your facts.
Nan Greenly

These plants are poisonous to dogs and puppies.

. algae
. almonds

Did you gives us any facts? Can you prove it? Who made up this list? I bet it wasn't the Galactic
Almond Growers Union!

If you wanted us to look at your web site, you could have said so. If you wanted us to look at the
magnificent poisonous plant list, you could have given us the proper URL:
http://www.4netmarketing.com/poisonous.htm Of course, it is still merely an unattributed list
provided by someone who has presently demonstrated a willingness to use deception. :-)

Michael
__
I love children: but I can't eat a whole one!

Old July 29th 03, 06:09 PM
Kurtis D. Rader

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:06:32 +0000, David and Nan Greenly wrote:

Notice Almonds are second on the list....ever think of asking your vet
what you can feed you dog? Before you give advice you should check your
facts. Nan Greenly http://www.4netmarketing.com/lexusnessie.htm

These plants are poisonous to dogs and puppies.

Yes, notice that the list is a list of "plants". For example, "potato"
is listed. That doesn't mean a potato is poisonous, it means the sprouts
of and skin of the tuber are poisonous. Cooked peeled potato is perfectly
safe. On the other hand, "onion" is listed and it is the case that the
bulb of that plant (what we use in our cooking) is poisonous to canines.
Garlic contains the same toxic substance (thiosulfate) but at a lower
concentration, and given the small amount used for flavoring is usually
not an issue.

Your list is clearly not a list of common foods that are poisonous to
dogs. For example, it omits chocolate. The inclusion of almonds refers
to the plant itself not the nut. Nuts in general are thought to be
bad for dogs and a few (e.g., walnut, macadamia) are known to be toxic
for canines. However, at least in the case of walnuts the main danger
seems to be from a fungus common to walnuts that have been on the ground
for some time and not the nut itself. Also, the kernel of some fruits
(apples, plums, peaches, apricots) is toxic so you should slice those
fruits and make sure the dog never gets the core or kernel.

And, of course, there are many non-food items present in our environment
that are poisonous to dogs. Some of which they find quite tasty, such as
automobile antifreeze.

I am unable to find a reference to almond nuts themselves being toxic for
canines (other than the general admonishments againts nuts in general).

Old July 29th 03, 07:02 PM
Suja

Kurtis D. Rader wrote:

I am unable to find a reference to almond nuts themselves being toxic for
canines (other than the general admonishments againts nuts in general).

Pretty good list here, although it is plants that are toxic to cats, not
dogs: http://maxshouse.com/Poisonous_Plants_Genus-Species.htm Look for
Prunus spp.
Another one he http://www.dogpatch.org/doginfo/plants.html, which
states that Almond seed is poisonous, although it doesn't specify nut.
Of course, the ASPCA's National Animal Poison Control Center
(www.napcc.aspca.org) does not have it listed, so I don't know what to
make of it.

Suja

Old July 29th 03, 09:08 PM
Kurtis D. Rader

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:02:39 +0000, Suja wrote:

Pretty good list here, although it is plants that are toxic to cats, not
dogs: http://maxshouse.com/Poisonous_Plants_Genus-Species.htm Look for
Prunus spp. Another one he
http://www.dogpatch.org/doginfo/plants.html, which states that Almond
seed is poisonous, although it doesn't specify nut. Of course, the
ASPCA's National Animal Poison Control Center (www.napcc.aspca.org) does
not have it listed, so I don't know what to make of it.

Good links. Thanks. BTW: nut == seed. The nut/seed contains the plant
germ from which a new member will grow given the right conditions. It's
actually a pretty cool elementary school science project to take a nut and
watch a new plant grow from it.

I suspect that the inconsistency over whether almonds are toxic
for canines may be due to the amount required to trigger an adverse
reaction. In which case a couple once in a while may not be a problem,
but if the dog ate a large volume it would be. Which is, of course,
true for most substances. It's a question of how much is too much and
hence what the level of risk is. Personally I don't feed my dogs nuts
of any type, other than an occassional bit of peanut butter, for the
simple reason it's not worth the risk that I'll incorrectly remember
which are safe and which are not.