OT--decyphering spam properties

Old November 5th 03, 01:08 AM
Marie

Default OT--decyphering spam properties

I've been using McAfee's Spamkiller for awhile now: it's pretty good, but
every now and then the spam getting through the filter increases
inexplicably. So I've been (trying) to read the help file to find ways to
make it more efficent.

One of the suggestions Spamkiller makes is to filter entire domains, and
then use the "friends" list to let the legit messages through.

So here's my problem: I have *no* idea how to read the 'properties' of a
spam :-}

For example--here's the properties from a recent spam:

From: "Jeannie Holloway"
Cc: , ,
Subject: shrubbfry armchnid secogw
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 03 15:44:38 GMT

What am I reading here?

TIA

Marie
Meet Macula at
http://members.rogers.com/mmcw/
Meet the Kidlets at http://ca.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/mmcw2

Old November 5th 03, 01:43 AM
culprit

"Marie" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
One of the suggestions Spamkiller makes is to filter entire domains, and
then use the "friends" list to let the legit messages through.

this is the fake email address they pretend to send the mail from. you
don't want to filter this domain.

this is the real spammer. you want to filter out emails from the domain
"veloxzone.com.br". though i don't know if this is a common domain for
spammers to use. chances are, you won't be getting legit email from here
unless you know someone in brazil. :-)

what i usually do is use several different email addresses. one for
newsgroups, which is all spam and all gets deleted. one for web site
registrations that require my email addy, or for buying things online. this
one i filter moderately, as it's mostly just sales spam, not the nasty
stuff. the third one is for friends and relatives, people i *want* to get
email from. this one i don't have to filter.

-kelly

Old November 5th 03, 01:43 AM
culprit

. cable.rogers.com...

Old November 5th 03, 01:43 AM
culprit

. cable.rogers.com...

Old November 5th 03, 11:26 AM
KrisHur

I do a similar thing. Hotmail for buying stuff and newgroups, my ISP email
for friends and family and Yahoo through my website. However, when I was
elected to the board of directors of the dog training club they used my
friends and family email instead of the hotmail account for the board's
yahoo group and ruined it. I caught on after 2 months but it was too late. I
am getting totally spammed, even with filters.
: (

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

"culprit" wrote in message

. cable.rogers.com...

Old November 5th 03, 11:26 AM
KrisHur

I do a similar thing. Hotmail for buying stuff and newgroups, my ISP email
for friends and family and Yahoo through my website. However, when I was
elected to the board of directors of the dog training club they used my
friends and family email instead of the hotmail account for the board's
yahoo group and ruined it. I caught on after 2 months but it was too late. I
am getting totally spammed, even with filters.
: (

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
www.kristenandkali.com

"culprit" wrote in message

. cable.rogers.com...

Old November 5th 03, 11:26 AM
KrisHur

I do a similar thing. Hotmail for buying stuff and newgroups, my ISP email
for friends and family and Yahoo through my website. However, when I was
elected to the board of directors of the dog training club they used my
friends and family email instead of the hotmail account for the board's
yahoo group and ruined it. I caught on after 2 months but it was too late. I
am getting totally spammed, even with filters.
: (

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT
www.kristenandkali.com

"culprit" wrote in message

. cable.rogers.com...

Old November 5th 03, 02:28 PM
Marie

"culprit" wrote in message

SNIP

what i usually do is use several different email addresses. one for
newsgroups, which is all spam and all gets deleted. one for web site
registrations that require my email addy, or for buying things online.

this
one i filter moderately, as it's mostly just sales spam, not the nasty
stuff. the third one is for friends and relatives, people i *want* to get
email from. this one i don't have to filter.

Hubby and I have an email address we use for most online purchases, etc. I
just didn't know enough about ngs when I started on RPDB a couple of years
ago to realize that I shouldn't use my "real" email :-( Now...I'd have to
replace my addy with a new one, try and notify all my friends, set up a new
addy for ngs, re-register for the groups...SIGH If I had that much time
right now I'd be taking a nap :-) (I only found the time to look at
spamkiller yesterday 'cause both of the kidlets are in the midst of their
first colds, and were doped up and zonked out on baby tempra all day).

Anyway, thanks for the info Kelly.

Marie

-kelly