no bark training revisited

Old November 4th 03, 08:51 PM
Shelley

Default no bark training revisited

OK about 2 weeks ago I read some threads about something new to try to stop
a dog from barking - praising them when they stop. I've been thinking about
this a lot and want to try it on our barker, er I mean dog.

Rusty barks whenever we walk to the front door, if the front door opens (we
only use the back door to come in and out of our house), when there is a
knock or when the doorbell rings. So I'm wondering about this... Do I
praise Rusty as soon as he breaks in his barking to take another breath or
do I wait until he's completely finished? He will oftentimes continue to
bark quietly under his breath for the next 1 or 2 minutes after the person
is gone. Do I praise him every time he finishes after that?

Advice to others - never get a dog that is already 4 months old from a
backyard breeder where he has never been outside until you bring him home
and then proceed to break his leg [accident - not purposely] so that they
are stuck inside for yet another month while on bedrest - it's not the best
way to socialize a dog!!! We love him anyway and wouldn't trade him in for
all the money in the world, but we do have a barky little doxie.
--
Shelley & Rusty
http://www.bump.us/rusty