Chocolate lab question

Old November 6th 03, 09:27 PM

Default Chocolate lab question

Now that I am going to be staying home and not working long days I have
decided to get a dog. I wouldn't get one before because I worked long hours.
I want to do some research before I decide what breed would be best suited.
I do have a fenced in yard, and I am looking for a dog that will be a larger
dog, and will love to be very active (I want a dog to accompany me on long
walks in the park very often, to go to the beach with, etc- as well as lots
of playing in the yard. I do want a larger dog that is well suited to live
outdoors in a yard- will have plenty of shade, a nice dog house, toys, etc.
I will not consider a small breed because I can't keep the dog in the house-
the dog can come in some, but not permanently reside inside. The dog will
also be spoiled rotten!

I have been considering a labarador retriever. I have never had one before
but I see them out a lot and they are always active, friendly, gentle, and
very playful. They love water and attention...they seem like they travel
well and love to be outdoors.

Is there anything else I should consider about a lab? I saw an ad for
chocolate lab puppies and am considering going to look for one. (I have a
great vet and am able to provide for anything the dog will need as
well)...and I do believe in spaying. Like I said I want to be sure I am a
perfect match for this breed.

I do have some questions...do labs tend to be friendly to cats? There are
some neighborhood kitties that sometimes hop into our back yard...I would
like to avoid a breed that will go after them viciously etc if possible....I
have seen labs that get along great with cats but just want to make sure of
what the breed tends to be like in that respect. It's not too likely cats
will come into the yard when we do get a dog anyway. (The cats are our
neighbors ans they have several large dogs- boxers, bulldogs etc)...

Are labs a happy breed outdoors? I will let the dog into the house but will
have a doghouse for him to sleep in at night. Do they get along well with
other dogs? (We don't have other dogs but my mom occasionally brings her
dachshund over)..how are they with kids? Do they bark at strangers, how
protective of their owners are they?

Old November 6th 03, 10:37 PM
FurPaw

J wrote:
Now that I am going to be staying home and not working long days I have
decided to get a dog. I wouldn't get one before because I worked long hours.
I want to do some research before I decide what breed would be best suited.
I do have a fenced in yard, and I am looking for a dog that will be a larger
dog, and will love to be very active (I want a dog to accompany me on long
walks in the park very often, to go to the beach with, etc- as well as lots
of playing in the yard. I do want a larger dog that is well suited to live
outdoors in a yard- will have plenty of shade, a nice dog house, toys, etc.
I will not consider a small breed because I can't keep the dog in the house-
the dog can come in some, but not permanently reside inside.

Why not? Is someone allergic to dogs?

The dog will
also be spoiled rotten!

But well-trained to come, sit, down, stay, and not jump, right?

I have been considering a labarador retriever. I have never had one before...

I have one and am good buddies with our neighbor's lab. So I'm not an
expert, but here are my observations:

I do have some questions...do labs tend to be friendly to cats?

Oppie likes to chase them, along with squirrels, rabbits, and any other
small animal that runs. I don't know what he'd do if he ever caught one :-)

Are labs a happy breed outdoors?

Oppie and Mocha would be most unhappy left outdoors. They like to be with
people. Oppie and Mocha are content outdoors if we aren't home, but when
we are they want to be with us, outdoors or in. They sleep in our
respective bedrooms.

I will let the dog into the house but will
have a doghouse for him to sleep in at night. Do they get along well with
other dogs?

Oppie and Mocha get along famously with other dogs.

(We don't have other dogs but my mom occasionally brings her
dachshund over)

Question is, how will the Dachshund get along with the Lab? Our Chihuahuas
sometimes try to attack Oppie, and he just lifts his head out of reach -
thinks it's a game.

...how are they with kids?

Oppie and Mocha are great with kids. Mocha has 5 and 2 year old kidlets at
home, and we have occasional visits from nieces and nephews.

Do they bark at strangers,

Yes.

how
protective of their owners are they?

Dunno - never had a chance to find out. Oppie isn't bothered when Hubster
and I tussle or hug - he just wants to join the fun.

They are just love bugs, and smart, and playful, and exuberant, and lots of
fun.

FurPaw
--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old November 6th 03, 11:21 PM
KrisHur

"J" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

Be very, very careful about answering ads you see in the paper. They tend to
be backyard breeder dogs--no health clearances (min. OFA and CERF). BYB's
just put two dogs together with no regard if the two dogs will create good
heathy pups. As Labs are prone to genetic health problems (hip displaysia,
PRA) you'll want to find a breeder who does pre-breeding health tests to be
sure s/he is producing sound pups with good temperaments.

I do have some questions...do labs tend to be friendly to cats? There are
some neighborhood kitties that sometimes hop into our back yard...I would
like to avoid a breed that will go after them viciously etc if

possible....I
have seen labs that get along great with cats but just want to make sure

of
what the breed tends to be like in that respect. It's not too likely cats
will come into the yard when we do get a dog anyway. (The cats are our
neighbors ans they have several large dogs- boxers, bulldogs etc)...

If the pup is raised with cats it would be no problem. My girl was not
raised with them and will chase our neighbor's when s/he comes into our
yard. The cat has learned to stay out of our backyard.

Are labs a happy breed outdoors? I will let the dog into the house but

will
have a doghouse for him to sleep in at night.

Labs are very much people dogs, who love to be with their people; but there
are people who do keep them as outdoor dogs.

Do they get along well with
other dogs?

Yes. But you must be sure to socialize the pup and get him/her as many
playdates or trips to a dog park as possible. Any breed who does not get
good socialization as a pup will not be good with other dogs.

how are they with kids?

Wonderful with kids. My girl was not raised with kids and loves them and is
very tolerant of poking fingers/ear pulls.

Do they bark at strangers, how
protective of their owners are they?

They will bark if someone comes onto your property but very unlikely to
bite.

--
Kristen and
Kali CDX, CGC, TDIA, TT

Old November 6th 03, 11:41 PM
Bre

Hi J,
As the owner of two labs, I have to tell you that they are very much People
dogs. I do not own my labs they own ME. They love to be outside but only when
they are with someone or are playing together in our yard.
Labs are pack animals and they need to be with you. My labs even sleep in the
same room with us, usually curled up between us on the bed, Its their choice
where they sleep. We are however looking at buying a king size bed.
Why would the dog be allowed in the house sometimes but not all the time?

Bre