Help. New dog's fear of me is disrupting our household

Old November 7th 03, 09:09 PM
Arget

Default Help. New dog's fear of me is disrupting our household

I live at home with my mother (yes, sad. I'm supposedly moving in 3
months). Anyway, we have a pug of about 2 years who loves us like
we're oxygen. My mom recently met a guy and they wed. He moved in and
brought his dog with him, a large, young adult, half-coyote /
half-shepherd female. The problem is this dog, Megan, despises me with
a passion you can't imagine, and we have no clue why. Originally we
thought she just hated me for some reason, but soon it was apparent
that it's fear more than anything. When my mom or step dad are around
she barks and growls at me like with a horrible fierceness. But soon
we learned that she's just "protecting" them form me. Whenever it's
just me and her home, she stays quiet as a mouse and just runs from
room to room to avoid me. After weeks of this, I thought a gentle
confrontation was in order. So I went into a room she was in, and
closed the door behind me. I sat on the bed with her, several feet
away and starting talking softly to her. She began soiling all over
herself and the bed and was trembling so badly the bed felt like an
earthquake. She isn't fond of most people, but she's completely
terrified of me and it doesn't seem to be getting any better as the
months go by. Apparently my stepdad rescued her as an abused puppy.
Whatever happened to her, it's almost like I remind her of whoever
hurt her. EVERY morning when I get up to get ready all 3 of us have to
put up with her barking and growling at me. Then again when I get
home. And worst of all, on the weekends when I get in late and they're
already in bed. I usually stay in my room. But if I pass through to
get a snack or a drink, it's more barking... every time. It just won't
end.

Does anyone have any suggestions? My mom/stepdad though having me give
her treats, and pet her while they are present would help. But she
barely will accept any treats from me, and only if they the others are
present. And 5 minutes later, it doesn't seem to have made any
difference anyway. She loves my mom for some reason. My mom's theory
to this was that my stepdad was always coming home with her scent when
they were dating, and so Megan got used to that. I'm not totally
discounting that, but is a scent really going to make the difference
between the dog trusting someone upon the first meeting, or having the
fear of God of them?

My stepdad says she'll come around in about year. I'm not going to be
there that long anyway. I just want to know what I can to do help the
dog calm down and get used to me while I am there. I would think after
so much exposure to me, and seeing that I've never harmed her, or the
ones she "protects," that she would start dismissing me a threat, but
day after day, month after month, I'm still the same evil intruder
every time I go to the bathroom, make a snack, or come home. And
that's not a fun feeling to have at home all the time. Any
suggestions? TIA