Licking, why?

Old November 11th 03, 09:26 AM
David H

Default Licking, why?

Not an important question, just curious

Sometimes, when I am lying in bed and reading a book, my dog will jump up
and spend 30 minutes or so licking my head. I don't particularly mind, but
I wonder why she does this?

She also licks other body parts for lengthy periods of time when she has the
inclination. Toes in particular are a favourite target.

In a separate situation, when she is unhappy (eg. we are combing some nasty
knots out of her coat) her response is to... lick. I find it weird. It
seems that she licks when she is in a happy situation (I'm relaxing, she is
relaxing near me) and she also licks when she is in a stressful situation.

Do other dogs have similar reactions?

Again, I don't really care either way, I was just curious. This isn't a
behavior pattern I want to change. I'd rather she licks than bites when
stressed, and I don't mind her licking when she is happy either.

David

Licking, why? David H Dog behavior 8 November 12th 03 06:06 AM
Bulldog licking RLO2 Dog health 0 November 3rd 03 10:13 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM
Muzzle Licking bb3 Dog behavior 0 October 7th 03 08:36 PM