dog urinates while walking

Old November 12th 03, 04:46 AM
culprit

Default dog urinates while walking

sorry for the x-post, but i'm not sure if this issue is behavioral or
medical.

is it unusual for a male dog to urinate while walking? Manu does this
sometimes, in the house, and he doesn't even seem to notice it. could this
be a health problem? he did this when we first got him, and had finally
stopped for a couple of months (i thought due to training), but has started
again in the last few days. i'm kind of at a loss, as he asks to go out
when he needs to, and i thought he was housebroken. he doesn't lift a leg
when doing it, so it doesn't seem like typical marking. sometimes he will
walk the length of the hallway, just meandering along, as though he doesn't
even know he's leaving a trail behind him.

he's a 14 month old, neutered pit bull/lab mix, and became the second dog in
our household about six months ago.

any suggestions?

-kelly

Old November 12th 03, 06:40 AM
Nevyn

Eukanaba IS a store brand. Hills Science Diet works the best.

--
Thankyou,
Nevyn

_________________________________
Nevyn E.D.
Veterinary Nurse & Animal Trainer

"You can judge a man's heart by his treatment of animals"
__________________________________
"Leah" -OFF wrote in message
"culprit"
wrote:
is it unusual for a male dog to urinate while walking? Manu does this
sometimes, in the house, and he doesn't even seem to notice it. could

this
be a health problem?

IMHO, yes. I've had two dogs in class (males) who did this. One was

neutered
quite a while ago and just started doing it, so I sent her to her vet to

check
for a UTI. The other one was doing it from the time he was adopted, and

the
vet said it was behavioral, not medical. I disagreed. She went back to

her
vet. Seems he began it right after neutering. Occasionally this will

happen,
and there are meds that control it. The vet changed his mind and put him

on
the meds, and there is no more "leaking."

I also had an adult female who started submissive urination for no

apparent
reason. The vet could find nothing wrong with her. I asked a bazillion
questions, and found out that the owner had changed her diet. (From

Eukanuba
to a store brand.) I told her to switch back, that there may be something

in
the new food that's irritating her bladder. Two weeks after being back on

the
Eukanuba, she stopped.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old November 12th 03, 07:23 AM
culprit

"Nevyn" wrote in message
.. .
Eukanaba IS a store brand. Hills Science Diet works the best.

--

no, Eukanuba is not a "store brand". you can buy it at many different pet
supply stores, and it's made by Proctor and Gamble. a "store brand" would

i won't even go into the science diet comment.

-kelly