Cold-weather trialing and cold dogs

Old November 23rd 04, 01:50 PM
Robin Nuttall

Default Cold-weather trialing and cold dogs

Melanie L Chang wrote:

When the weather gets really cold my dogs and I do less trialing, mostly
because there are fewer opportunities to do dog things, but we still go
to some. The fact that I now have a dog who needs clothing when the
temps go below 50 degrees (guess which one) makes me wonder if the larger
dogs should also have coats when it's really frigid out -- not when
exercising but when lying around. There's a lot of down time at any dog
event, and it seems unfair to take frozen Fly out of the crate and throw
her right onto the field to get the sheep, or take frozen Solo out of the
crate and put him on the start line. It can't be good for their muscles.

Why are they frozen in their crates? If you put a bed in the crate and
cover the crate with a blanket they will be very warm! I'd do that
regardless of anything else. That way their muscles stay warmer. If I
keep them moving once out of the crate, they're good. I'm the one at
winter trials who paces in a circle in the lineup when it's cold--I keep
them moving.

Should I worry about this? I might add that my larger dogs have never
looked cold outside, no matter how cold it is. Maybe I just have this
secret desire to buy more dog clothing now that Skeeter has introduced me
to the joys of dressing up my dog. Our latest purchase is a set of
fleece pajamas with sheep on them, because my apartment gets chilly and
Skeeter walks around shivering on cold evenings.

With BCs, I don't think so. I do have coats for my girls--they wear them
when windchill/temps go below 30 or when it's in the 40s and, as you
say, they may have to stand around a bit. But they have very short hair,
bare bellies, and no undercoat.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:12 PM

Melanie L Chang wrote:
Should I worry about this? I might add that my larger dogs have never
looked cold outside, no matter how cold it is.

I'd say it depends on a number of factors. The only one
that really matters is how your dogs *feel*, but in general
sunny, windless but cold days are going to be okay and
windy, wet chilly days will be more of a problem. I'd worry
more about them getting wet on cold days, I think, than
about the temperatures themselves. And one thing about the
mid-Atlantic is that it can get chilly but not really
frigid, which leaves temperatures in ranges that can cause a
dog to get quite wet.

"War is heck" -- American Family Association
Old November 25th 04, 12:26 AM
Wolf

it always helps to keep their bones warm, and muscles. if the dog doesnt
look cold, it peobably isnt, they usually curl up differently when they are
cold. you could get a dog jacket from a sled dog site, they have velcro i
believe and are not exactly like regular knitted clothing for dogs. It has
a more professional competition look.

Oh and Hi Melinda, hope all is well!

Wolf
http://home.earthlink.net/~wolfdoggsite