Advice Please!

Old August 1st 03, 02:29 AM
crosem

Default Advice Please!

I have heard tell of playing a thunderstorm CD/tape at very low volume,
gradually increasing the volume over time (weeks...months) can help, but
have never tried it. My dog goes under the bed, but seems to forget until
the next time...

wrote in message
Hi, I have a 5 year old Boxer/Doberman mix dog. She is terrified of
thunderstorms, fireworks, and now even rain because she associates it
with thunder. She hides for hours before and after storms and shakes
uncontrollably. Recently there was a explosive sounding clap of
thunder ever since then (about 2 weeks ago) she has been hiding every
night since and any sound even minor ones and she's off and running. I
don't want to medicate her, especially considering at this point it is a
constant thing and medicine doesn't even seem like an option. Does
anyone have any advice on what I could do to get her to calm down? I
have tried everything, music to mask the noise, holding her, talking to
her to reassure her nothing helps at all. It has become a real problem
she makes it impossible to even sleep at night with her climbing on me
and even under me. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old August 1st 03, 04:27 AM
ZPL

How cool is that! What a great idea!

"buglady" wrote in message
arthlink.net...

wrote in message
Hi, I have a 5 year old Boxer/Doberman mix dog. She is terrified of
thunderstorms, fireworks, and now even rain because she associates it
with thunder. She hides for hours before and after storms and shakes
uncontrollably.

http://www.anxietywrap.com/

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 1st 03, 04:54 AM
crosem

this reminds me of the high-functioning Ph.D woman with autism, she works
with animals, and found that her anxious feelings (caused by the autism)
could be lessened by going into a homemade "all over hug" sort of thing that
cushioned her on all sides and gently compressed...she got the idea from
watching the thing used in the handling of cows about to be slaughtered (if
I remember this correctly, I think it was on 60 Minutes years ago).

arthlink.net...

Old August 1st 03, 04:54 AM
crosem

this reminds me of the high-functioning Ph.D woman with autism, she works
with animals, and found that her anxious feelings (caused by the autism)
could be lessened by going into a homemade "all over hug" sort of thing that
cushioned her on all sides and gently compressed...she got the idea from
watching the thing used in the handling of cows about to be slaughtered (if
I remember this correctly, I think it was on 60 Minutes years ago).

arthlink.net...

Old August 1st 03, 05:34 AM
Jo Wolf

This over-all-pressure principle works VERY well for my 11 yo Border
Terrier , Schroeder, who has a horrible time with thunderstorms and
neighborhood fireworks. I wrap him with 4 inch wide elastic bandage
from just in front of the back legs (leaving the plumbing exposed) to
just behind the front legs. He'll stretch out and nap through the
storms with this on. It has worked so well that I am about to purchase
one of the "coats". I have also used sportswrap, which is 4 inches
wide... wider than the 2 inch vet wrap carried in many stores.... but
the 4 inch equine vet wrap would be fine.... These stick to themselves,
so don't come loose as easily....

Definitely, go to www.anxietywrap.com and read!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old August 1st 03, 06:22 AM
S M

Thank you all for your advice I will definitely check into the
anxiety wrap.

Old August 1st 03, 06:22 AM
S M

Thank you all for your advice I will definitely check into the
anxiety wrap.

Need advice on buying Golden Retriever pup ( age) midwesthills Dog breeds 6 May 5th 06 03:03 AM
advice gift puppy Abc Dog breeds 2 December 16th 03 06:09 AM
need advice Gus Mahler Dog breeds 0 July 30th 03 10:59 PM
Need some Advice, Please..... Jon Dog breeds 3 July 21st 03 04:45 PM
Final outcome (for now) rescued cocker spanial -- need quick advice buglady Dog health 0 July 16th 03 12:04 PM