Our dog hates the 2 new kittens

Old November 13th 03, 07:06 AM
Tony

Default Our dog hates the 2 new kittens

Ten days ago I got 2 kittens for my kids. We have had our pure bred
German Sheppard for about 3 years. I took the kittens' towel to the
dog so she could get use to their smell. I've held the dog on her
leash so she can see the kittens, the dog was constantly pulling to
get at the kittens, hair raised on her back. After a few days she
could hear/see the cats without the hair rising. I waited until the
kids were at school before I tried to really introduce them.

I had one of the kittens in my arms in a towel with just the head
sticking out. The dog seemed to be nice until she slowly jumped up
(balancing on her hind legs), looked like she was going to sniff the
cat but slowly opened her mouth and got it around the kitten's head.
This dog is police trained and only speaks German. She got down when I
told her to and the kitten wasn't harmed.

Some history on the dog... she has gotten out 1 time in the 3 years
we've had her. She went after my neighbor's dog, got that little dog
around the neck and pushed her to the ground. After the little dog
layed there for a minute, my dog let her go and started licking her,
then layed down next to the little dog. I'm afraid she'll do this with
the kittens, but the kittens won't make it past the initial
confrontation.

The kittens are usually locked up in a large bathroom. They come out
to play when the dog is in her kennel. The dog has been running to the
bathroom door and wagging her tail when she hears them playing or
meowing. When I first got the kittens the dog was not wagging her tail
and the hair was rising on her back when she heard the kittens.

I think I'm on the right track, but are there any telltale signs of
when the two (three) should really meet?

Thanks for any advice!