Subject: Warning for the Tacoma area

Old November 14th 03, 01:27 PM
Shelly & The Boys

Default Subject: Warning for the Tacoma area

Permission to cross post. I received this from my Washington 4H
Leaders list and wanted to share. I know here in the Portland area
went through something similar this past summer.

Just got this from one our former 4-H'ers (and a heck of a dog
handler!). She works with a vet clinic/dog day care. Ruby is an
Australian Cattle Dog. Watch your dogs....

Chip Taylor
Swan Creek Weimaraners

From: Megan
Subject: Ruby almost died, WARNING!!!

Ruby spent all of last night and half of today at the
Durango Emergency clinic in Tacoma because she ingested
rat bait in the Pet Smart parking lot on South Hill. I
have heard of similar situations lately so be alert to
anything in a parking lot any of your dogs might
ingest. It sounds to me like stupid kids doing mean
things (why else would RAT BAIT be in a pet store
parking lot?) We had a women come in to work not long
ago and her pet didn't make it after eating 'something
strange' in a PetCo parking lot down in Puyallup. Make
sure to ALWAYS watch your dogs when going into public
areas and do not let them eat or drink ANYTHING off the
ground.
Ruby's symptoms included extreme drooling, vomiting,
refusal to eat/drink, vomiting bloody contents,
vomiting straight blood, tremors, and ultimatly
seizured twice and didn't wake up from the second one.
She was moved to my work this morning and is doing
better but still has rear leg weakness and an inability
to hold her urine.
If your dog eats ANYTHING strange and/or exhibits ANY
of these symptoms take them to the vet right away!
Please pray Ruby pulls all the way out of this one!!

--
http://www.geocities.com/shellybrosnan/BSD.html