Dog Getting Into Cat's Litterbox

Old November 16th 03, 06:54 PM
Phyllis

Default Dog Getting Into Cat's Litterbox

I have two dogs and one of them has been caught getting poop out of the
cat's litterbox and eating it. I have taken to surround the cat box with a
fence with just enough opening to allow the cat in, but keep my chow out;
however, this has not solved the problem. My chow litterally bulldozes
through the make shift fence and gets into the box. I've fussed at her, but
apparently this goes thru one ear and out the other. Why is my dog doing
this and any ideas to stop this behavior?

TIA
Phyllis

Old November 17th 03, 02:27 AM

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 17:54:45 GMT Phyllis whittled these words:
I have two dogs and one of them has been caught getting poop out of the
cat's litterbox and eating it. I have taken to surround the cat box with a
fence with just enough opening to allow the cat in, but keep my chow out;
however, this has not solved the problem. My chow litterally bulldozes
through the make shift fence and gets into the box. I've fussed at her, but
apparently this goes thru one ear and out the other. Why is my dog doing
this and any ideas to stop this behavior?

Your dog is doing it because cat feces has quite a bit of food value and
the dog thinks its tasty. See http://www.dog-play.com/kittybox.html

Old November 24th 03, 05:48 AM
succeeq

i had the same problem. cat pooped - dog waited outside the litter box to enjoy.
yuck!!!! there is a litter box available at pet stores designed to keep dogs
out, it has a plastic shield over the front . i have had one for over a a year
and the problem is solved, dogs cannot get at the litter.it is a little
expensive but worth it in my opinion.
succeeq