Digging & nibbling problem

Old August 1st 03, 07:57 PM
Pamela

Default Digging & nibbling problem

I have a 4 year old white German shepherd named Sugar. Lately, she's been
digging holes all over the backyard. She's never done this before this
summer. I know that some dogs dig so they can nap on cool dirt, but this
doesn't seem to have anything to do with where she sleeps. Also, she's
taken to nibbling on her skin in one area on her hind quarters. She's done
this so often that she now has a bare patch of pink skin showing through her
otherwise beautiful coat. I don't know if these behaviors are related to
the fact that she's tied on a trolley line that stretches across the
backyard, but she's known for digging out of the yard and so I have no
choice but to keep her tied up all day. I don't know what else to do for
her. Any suggestions?

Old August 3rd 03, 03:41 AM
Pamela

Thanks for the solution to Sugar's dig-out problem. It sounds as if it just
might be the cure for her.

As for the trolley line, it serves to keep her from digging out and
attacking my neighbor's chickens (she already killed one and I have had
complaints) as well as keeps her away from the electric guy when he stops in
to read the meter every month. She's a big girl and pretty intimidating.
She does have time off her leash twice a day, during which she runs around
like mad. I understand that she can get bored. I did have a play mate for
her, a male mutt that she seemed to love, but during one of her escapades,
he followed her out of the hole and didn't return.

Finally, I don't mind her pot holes in the yard. She has a wading pool to
keep her cool, and every once in a while I'll hose her off on the hot days.
So the holes aren't necessarily an indication of her inability to cool off,
but I'll humor her and let her cool off however she sees fit.

Thanks again for your help.

Pamela

toy poodle problem andeeroo Dog breeds 1 October 17th 03 04:55 AM
Puppy problem &michael Dog breeds 3 September 7th 03 08:45 AM
Dog Aggressive German Shepherd Problem Rick Dog health 2 July 15th 03 09:19 PM
Problem with spayed puppy and un-neutered puppy. M&M Dog health 1 July 13th 03 01:13 AM
Skin Problem on a Pitbull-mix tgentry Dog health 2 July 2nd 03 01:19 PM