I'm still around

Old November 18th 03, 02:38 AM
Kevin Michael Vail

Default I'm still around

....just haven't been doing much with Usenet for almost a month now, just
poking in here and there.

Today marks the fourth anniversary of the day we brought Toby home, so
I'm kind of moody tonight. God I miss the little guy.

Fidget is still not eating well. We try weaning him off the steroids
but as soon as we do his appetite falls off. The internist prescribed
Tylesin for him to help him feel more like eating, but Fidget dislikes
that so much, even when we went out and bought capsules to put it in,
the he started distrusting *all* food, even the stuff we'd never tried
putting medication in. That's kind of counterproductive, so we've taken
him off it. (It was kind of a pain anyway. It's a powder that has to
be diluted 9 to 1 in order to get a measurable amount for dosage. I am
not set up to have a lucrative career in an illicit drug lab...takes me
over five minutes to fill *one* capsule, and David is even slower.)

He is also still coughing. We thought this was bronchitis, since he
occasionally coughs up phlegm, but he's been on antibiotics for weeks
and it's still going on. His lungs are clear on X-ray and apparently
sound clear when the doctor listens to them. Again, no vet we've taken
him to has a clue. We're trying to get an appointment with a holistic
vet to explore alternative therapies.

Through all this, Fidget is in great spirits. Happiness just exudes
from him constantly. He is enjoying being the only dog and getting all
the attention (and he's getting a *lot* of attention, as you can
imagine).

We had a houseguest this weekend, Humphrey, a 30-pound cocker spaniel
who's an 85-pound wannabe, as his human describes him. He's really
sweet, but *he's* the one who should have been named Fidget--he paces
*constantly*, which drove David up the wall. I took him in here with me
while I was on the computer, and he and Fidget just settled down and
went to sleep. Go figger.

Anyway, just checking in. There are over 2000 messages to be read, and
I get overwhelmed just looking at the subjects. I hope I haven't missed
anything important! I'm not sure I'm actually back yet, anyway, depends
on how this week goes.

Cheers and skritches to all as appropriate,
/Kevin
--
Bright eyes/burning like fire, | Kevin Michael Vail
Bright eyes/how can you close and fail? |
Old November 18th 03, 06:13 AM
Rocky

Kevin Michael Vail said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

We had a houseguest this weekend, Humphrey, a 30-pound
cocker spaniel who's an 85-pound wannabe, as his human
describes him. He's really sweet, but *he's* the one who
should have been named Fidget--he paces *constantly*, which
drove David up the wall.

Heh. David would hate Rocky - he paces constantly, also.

It's good to hear that y'all are mostly OK.

Old November 18th 03, 06:31 AM
Child

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message news:kevin-

Through all this, Fidget is in great spirits. Happiness just exudes
from him constantly. He is enjoying being the only dog and getting all
the attention (and he's getting a *lot* of attention, as you can
imagine).

isn't a dog like that a joy to be around? lifts the spirits just to look at
them vbg

Old November 18th 03, 02:06 PM
Cate

"Kevin Michael Vail" wrote in message

Through all this, Fidget is in great spirits. Happiness just exudes
from him constantly. He is enjoying being the only dog and getting all
the attention (and he's getting a *lot* of attention, as you can
imagine).

Isn't that the way? We get morose while they get happier.

Good to see you, and to know of your progress. Hope Fidget gets over his
ailment soon.

Cate