Orson's terrified of the floor

Old November 18th 03, 03:33 PM
Cate

Default Orson's terrified of the floor

Orson slipped on the kitchen floor in a slapstick,
Chevy-Chase-doing-Gerald-Ford way twice in the same day. Now the floor is
free of what was making it slippery, but he's so terrified of stepping on
the floor that he walks in a very strange, stiff-legged, toes-splayed-out
way and ends up slipping because of his goofy walking technique.

His food and water bowls are on the kitchen floor, and the back door is in
the kitchen. Hence, the problem. I thought about moving the bowls until he
felt more comfortable, but figured that'd avoid solving the problem.

I put a throw rug down, which seems to comfort him a bit, but the shape of
the kitchen and the hang of the back door being too close to the floor don't
allow for rugs to cover even half the area where he needs to walk.

I'm not babying him--coaxing him to his food or anything like that, and you
know it's bad when I set his food bowl down and he just stands 3 feet away,
afraid to come into the kitchen.

But this morning he broke my heart. I put his food bowl down and just walked
out of the kitchen. He gingerly tiptoed in, stretching out his neck like a
giraffe to reach the bowl. After a few gulps (too scared to chew), he froze.
When he heard my keys jingle as I prepared to leave for an errand, he
started *crying,* seemingly glued to his spot near his bowl. I moved the rug
6 inches closer to him and he did his Chase-as-Ford imitation getting out of
the kitchen. I left him to work out getting the rest of the food on his own.

If this were your dog, would you put something on the floor (maybe I can
find a very thin rubber mat?) or let him tough it out? (It's been 3 days so
far.) If the latter, is it possible to make him stop walking in such a
ridiculous way?

Cate

Orson's terrified of the floor Cate Dog behavior 136 November 20th 03 10:27 PM
Old dog and slippery floor problem Kind2dogs Dog behavior 5 September 2nd 03 08:01 PM
My dog is licking all the floor (non-stop)!! shadowpuk Dog behavior 1 August 9th 03 07:59 PM
Bare Floor Solutions at Work Leah Dog behavior 2 July 23rd 03 09:15 AM