How many licks are there?

Old November 20th 03, 12:23 AM
The Other Harry

Default How many licks are there?

I have been counting my dog's licks. There are a lot of them.

- A standard chop-lick, usually used when expecting food.
- A submissive lick. This is much more subdued.
- A lick-lick, like when he is licking my hand.
- A lap-lick, like when he is drinking water

There are a lot of them.
Old November 21st 03, 01:31 PM
Tracy Doyle

The Other Harry wrote:

I have been counting my dog's licks. There are a lot of them.

- A standard chop-lick, usually used when expecting food.
- A submissive lick. This is much more subdued.
- A lick-lick, like when he is licking my hand.
- A lap-lick, like when he is drinking water

The stealth lick. Your dog KNOWS you don't want to be kissed in the
mouth, so he looks at something on your chest. You look, too, and get
FRENCH kissed by your dog. EWWWW... *PTUI*!!!

The toe slurp. Fresh-out-of-shoes feet, dog who loves them. Sounds like
a malfunctioning water pump. Weird to get 2 or 3 of them at it at the
same time. Thought about opening a spa.

The healing lick. What dogs sometimes do to scabs and other wounds. It's
a very soft, gentle lick given to a human wound, that stops halfway into
the lick like a warm, wet compress. See "spa" comment above.

The girl-to-girl French kiss. My female ACD and PB do this - facing each
other, heads cocked at 90-degree angles. They deeply lick the insides of
each others' mouths simultaneously. Still don't know what that's all
about. Otherwise, they're rather cool toward each other, or they play bitey-face.

The If-It-Feels-Good lick. My spayed girl PB and intact male ACD do this
- to themselves. Need I say more?

The air-suck lick. My dogs only do this while dreaming. Tongue out,
making little sucking sounds - "tu-tu-tu-tu-tu..."

Tracy

Old November 21st 03, 08:04 PM
Mary Shafer

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:31:35 GMT, Tracy Doyle
wrote:

The air-suck lick. My dogs only do this while dreaming. Tongue out,
making little sucking sounds - "tu-tu-tu-tu-tu..."

There's a similar lick that can be provoked by petting a dog's
forehead. Really cute, with a goofy look of contentment and rhythmic
little air licks. I think it's the memory of suckling at the teat.

Try it. Rub gently and repetitively, nose to ears, on the center of
the forehead, just above the eyes. It works on every collie I know,
and at least one GSD. The actual spot varies a little, of course.

Mary

Dog licks constantly at night...Help??? Punkie Gurl Kaelah Dog breeds 0 March 31st 04 05:15 AM
Licking, why? David H Dog behavior 8 November 12th 03 06:06 AM
Licking, why? David H Dog behavior 0 November 11th 03 09:26 AM