Garbage eating

Old November 20th 03, 10:44 PM
ZU

Default Garbage eating

My dog sometimes turns over trash cans and chews what's inside. I
know this happens when I open the door and the dog is hiding and
cowering. If she doesn't do the chewing then she doesn't hide or
cower. Scolding and shoving her nose into what she's done has brought
improvement. My neighbor says that banging the can with a spoon in
the dog's face works.
Old November 21st 03, 04:19 AM
Tricia9999

Scolding and shoving her nose into what she's done has brought
improvement.

Nice way to lose trust. Your dog will justifiably lose respect and trust for
you and your relationship will suffer greatly.

Old November 21st 03, 07:36 AM
Rocky

ZU said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

My dog sometimes turns over trash cans and chews what's
inside.

A common problem. There's lots of good stuff in there.

I know this happens when I open the door and the
dog is hiding and cowering.

No. Your dog is cowering and hiding because you came home.
You're expecting to see garbage on the floor. Even though you
don't think you're giving off signals, she knows that you're
angry, but has no idea why. And it's way beyond her
comprehension that you'd punish her for something she did hours
before.

If she doesn't do the chewing
then she doesn't hide or cower.

There's got to be another explanation. Dogs just don't think
this way.

Scolding and shoving her
nose into what she's done has brought improvement.

And there's the explanation. Garbage strewn on the floor equals
punishment. Still, your dog does not associate her raiding the
garbage with a later punishment. You are quickly losing your
dog's trust.

My
neighbor says that banging the can with a spoon in the
dog's face works.

I wish that such tricks worked for garbage can raiding. It's a
common problem and one that's not easy to fix, in my opinion.
My old girl raided her first garbage can at 12.5 years old and
found delicious stuff inside. That was it. From then on, it
was every day. I tried stuff like putting pop cans on top of
the canister - that worked once. The ultimate solution was
easy: a garbage can inside a cupboard.

Why fight things that aren't worth fixing?