rescued dog!

Old November 22nd 03, 01:29 AM
Lone Hansen

Default rescued dog!

"M.H. Greaves." wrote in message
news
well the little chap we bought two weeks ago is doing well, this is his

3rd
attempt at rehoming and all the others have only been for a week.
He has settled down quite allot, i have him sitting, giving a paw, he

plays
ball nicely, and brings it back! he has grasped the toilet training now.
He is an all black retriever cross, with more retriever in him than

whatever
he's crossed with, he's only 6months old, but he needed that extra week to
calm down.
He has a cardboard box to chew aswell as numerous chewy things he likes,

and
he doesn't chew any thing of ours now. The local dog training clubs are

not
starting anything until the new year; by which time he'll not need to go.
He's settled in with our other dog, a 12yr old collie/beagle cross, old
Jacky Boy. They get on like a house on fire!
His name is MAX!

- Sounds like one lovely fellow. You are a lucky family to fall over such a
gem as Max

Lone

Old November 22nd 03, 05:51 PM
M.H. Greaves.

thank you.
i know allot of people don't realise that what they do about a situation
with a dogs behaviour can make the poor thing worse, for example, you come
home, the little guy gives a helluva welcome home, cant love ya enough, then
you go through to the living room, and find that he's chewed right through
the sofa, what do you do?
many people would give it a right good hiding, maybe take it back to the
place they bought it, or kick it out.
Ironically you give him a good fuss in return, for welcoming you home.
Then you let him go to the sofa again, actually let him chew it; then tell
him off!
other wise if he had a hiding when the sofa was first seen, he's gonna
associate a welcome with a good hiding, and isn't going to want to come near
you again!
another thing is when he's been given a rowing, you wait a few mins, then go
and make it up with him.
i have done allot of reading about animal behaviour, and it all makes sense.
I just wish others would take time to understand their dogs behaviour.
regards.
"me and bobby mcgee" wrote in message
.com...
Congrats on giving this dog a good home. I believe that all dogs should go
through professional training- no matter the age of the dog, or the amount
of personal training previously given. The reason is simple- a

professional
dog trainer will give the owner some very valuable "hands on" advice on
training and interacting with the dog, how to "read" the dog's behavior

(dog
behavior is very different from ours, and the proper responses to a dog's
actions are vastly different, as well), and being around other dogs and
people is a vital part of a dog's socialization.

Good wishes to you all.