trip report

Old November 24th 03, 02:41 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default trip report

Jim and I are back from a 10 day work-related trip to France.

I'll pick up Cubbe from her boarding kennel shortly.

I saw lots of off-leash dogs negotiating the traffic-filled Paris
streets quite nicely. My heart skipped a beat each time, but I
witnessed no tragedies. The dogs stopped (restes) and crossed (allez)
at each corner with no particular precision but no horrible screaching
of brakes either.

There was the happiest, waggiest, black lab working as a customs
inspector at the airport when we got back. This was a cause for some
concern as I had chevre and sausage bought at the duty free shop which I
had no reason to believe was legal to import. So each time she came
around doing the waggy sniffy thing, I minded my manners and smiled at
her while making no effort to bend down to say hello. I figured there
was no reason to put the backpack closer to her level while Jim waited
for the checked bags. We did get away with it, but I'm sure I'd make a
terrible criminal. ("What! Sausage? How did THAT get in there?")
Apparently this dog was trained for illegal drugs, not assaults on the
U.S. Department of Agriculture.

(I've decided I don't care for Beaujolais no matter how stylish and
recently "est arrivee" it is.)

--Lia

Old November 25th 03, 02:09 PM
dogsnus

Julia Altshuler wrote in

Jim and I are back from a 10 day work-related trip to France.

I'll pick up Cubbe from her boarding kennel shortly.

I saw lots of off-leash dogs negotiating the traffic-filled Paris
streets quite nicely. My heart skipped a beat each time, but I
witnessed no tragedies. The dogs stopped (restes) and crossed (allez)
at each corner with no particular precision but no horrible screaching
of brakes either.

Did you see any of the famous pooper-scoopermobiles?
Mark Shaw used to tell of his time in Paris and the scoopermobiles.
He also said in the morning, long before the scoopermobiles
got out there, the streets were deadly with doggie bombs.

Sounds like a nice trip!

Terri

Old November 25th 03, 04:08 PM
Tricia9999

Did you see any of the famous pooper-scoopermobiles?
Mark Shaw used to tell of his time in Paris and the scoopermobiles.
He also said in the morning, long before the scoopermobiles
got out there, the streets were deadly with doggie bombs.

I had heard this, but I went to Paris this summer and it didn't seem any worse
in that regard than NYC or SF. So maybe it's the scoopermobiles.

Old November 25th 03, 07:12 PM
Julia Altshuler

The pooper-scoopermobiles might be what Jim and I dubbed "elephants."
It is a machine about the size of sit-down lawnmower but a different
shape and with a long vacuum hose that the driver could manipulate to
pick up garbage.

They don't have the pick up after your dog laws that we have in major
cities here. Perhaps if I lived there that would bother me, but on
vacation, one looks up at the magnificent architecture, not down in the
gutters. They have a mechanism for flooding gutters to clean them that
works apparently.

We visited friends in Nevers which is 2 hours south by train. I
exclaimed over the pony rides for kids in the park, but my friend said
she didn't like them, that the messes the dogs make are bad enough. She
has a 5 year old she can't take to play on the playground. (Lest you
think she's being ridiculously fastidious, she's not. There's no fresh
clean grass for little kids without looking down to inspect all the time.)

I posted the dog related part of my trip to this group, the fabric
related part of my trip to the quilting group and the food related part
of my trip to the cooking group. If any of that interests any of you,
ask, and I'll post off topic here. I could also wax eloquent about art
and architecture and metros if y'all like.

Oh, and Cubbe was glad to see us. She's such an aloof dog that I was
delighted she planted a big surprise kiss on my nose in front of the vet
tech who'd been taking care of her. It was like telling the vet tech
"See? We're not crazy for loving this dog."

--Lia