trip report

Old November 24th 03, 02:41 PM
Julia Altshuler

Default trip report

Jim and I are back from a 10 day work-related trip to France.

I'll pick up Cubbe from her boarding kennel shortly.

I saw lots of off-leash dogs negotiating the traffic-filled Paris
streets quite nicely. My heart skipped a beat each time, but I
witnessed no tragedies. The dogs stopped (restes) and crossed (allez)
at each corner with no particular precision but no horrible screaching
of brakes either.

There was the happiest, waggiest, black lab working as a customs
inspector at the airport when we got back. This was a cause for some
concern as I had chevre and sausage bought at the duty free shop which I
had no reason to believe was legal to import. So each time she came
around doing the waggy sniffy thing, I minded my manners and smiled at
her while making no effort to bend down to say hello. I figured there
was no reason to put the backpack closer to her level while Jim waited
for the checked bags. We did get away with it, but I'm sure I'd make a
terrible criminal. ("What! Sausage? How did THAT get in there?")
Apparently this dog was trained for illegal drugs, not assaults on the
U.S. Department of Agriculture.

(I've decided I don't care for Beaujolais no matter how stylish and
recently "est arrivee" it is.)

--Lia