A few days early, but so what?

Old November 24th 03, 04:33 PM
Mary Healey

Default A few days early, but so what?

Well, early tomorrow morning, Mr. Sam-I-Am and I are packing the
deathtrap Econobox and driving over the river and through the woods
(while avoiding trucks filled with slimy spillables like butter and
pudding) to mother's house. She's sorta Sam's Grandma, I guess, and Dad
sure acts like a besotted Grandpa -- I'll be lucky if he grunts 'hello'
to me before snatching the leash from me and taking Sam on a nice, long
walk.

But that's not what I wanted to talk about. I wanted to talk about the
upcoming Event. This Friday, November 28, is a Momentous Occasion. For
several reasons, really. First, and least important, it's my brother's
10th wedding anniversary. The fact that my SIL has not killed him and
buried him in the back yard speaks well of her restraint (and equally of
the fact that they have no back yard).

More significant, however, is that Nov. 28 is Sam's 14th birthday.
Fourteen years, and he hasn't killed/buried me! Or vice/versa! Hooray!

He's a little slower, a little deafer (hard to believe with those EARS),
a little stiffer (chiropractic adjustments are helping that
tremendously), and a little higher maintenance than he was, say, ten
years ago. So am I, for that matter. He's still just about the cutest
thing on four legs, IMO.

He's got Lynn K's butt-biting Rafiki to emulate, she's about 4 years
older and probably unmatchable in constitution, but a guy's gotta have a
goal, y'know.

So, here's to Sam-I-Am, a few days early: Happy Birthday!
--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,