Not suspected ear mites but yeast infection

Old August 5th 03, 02:38 PM

Default Not suspected ear mites but yeast infection

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, JakesMom1014 wrote:

Now I love my Vet to death - he's the greatest ---BUT - this
very small little bottle of Baytril mixture was $45.00 - OUCH
- and the sad thing is that I doubt if there is enough in the
bottle to suffice for the 14 days that I need to apply it -
I'll just have to wait and see. But as for the preventative
measures go once this clears up, is there anything on the
market that I can buy instead of another $45.00 bottle of
what I'm currently using? I just checked out PetRX.com and
they have a $17.50 25 gram bottle of Tri-Otic Ear ointment.
Is this the same stuff and safe to use to prevent yeast
infections?

Tri-otic is *not* the same thing as Baytril. Baytril is going
to be more expensive, but if that's what your vet thinks it's
going to take to clear up the infection, then i'd recommend
using it. as for using Tri-otic or something else to prevent
future yeast infections, you really should talk to your vet
about it.

FWIW i also just spend $100 damned dollars G at the vet for
an ear infection in one of my dogs, so i can *totally*
sympathies. this go-round i'm having to treat her with
Cephalexin (systemic antibiotic) plus some drops he mixed up
for her (antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and something else i
don't recall)--antibiotics and drops 2x/day for one week, then
drops 1x/week until i run out, then reevaluate the situation.
chronic ear infections *suck*.

--
shelly (foul wench) and elliott and harriet
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette

Old August 6th 03, 05:35 PM
JakesMom1014

Hi Lynn!
Thanks for the reply. I am following the Vet's instructions to the letter. As
you said, he did tell me that a yeast infection was really painful for the dog.
What prompted the Vet visit was when he scratched his ear and let out a yelp.
I definately want to do whatever preventative measures I can to keep his ears
clean and NOT have to use an antibiotic onced this initial infectioin is gone.
It was suggested that a cleaner of a warm water and vinegar solution would do
the trick. Are there any other suggestions of a god ear wah that can be bought
over the counter?
Thanks for your help.
Pat

This suprises me a little. Your dog obviously has a pretty severe
yeast infection, based on the treatment, and you should certainly do
everything the vet says to completely eliminate the current infection.
Believe me, you don't want to have to go to the next step of having
the dog put under to have the ear canals physically cleaned out. But,
going forward, there are other ways to prevent new yeast infections.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to give a strong antibiotic like
Baytril if there is no yeast present. I think it's better to do more
frequent prevention.
My dogs swim daily and one dog has had chronic yeast infections in one
ear. It does take daily care to keep his ears dry and acidic, but it
works. Yeast infections are so painful to the dog that it's really a
minor effort to prevent them from starting in the 1st place.

Lynn K.

Ear Mites JakesMom1014 Dog health 4 July 31st 03 07:13 AM
Canine Multi-vitamin with NO yeast? Marshall Dermer Dog health 3 July 30th 03 08:06 PM
inner ear infection Deb Dog health 1 July 7th 03 03:32 AM