Epilepsy

Old August 5th 03, 03:38 PM
Belal Y. Hamzeh

Default Epilepsy

Hi,

My Dog ( Cross breed between a German Shepard and a Saluki ) has just been
diagnosed with Epilepsy. Unfortunately we dont have a vet in the area that
knows a great deal about this. Could you please share your experiences with
me ....... he is a great Dog, and my family and I are very worried about
him ...

Thanks

Belal

Old August 6th 03, 02:40 AM
Rocky

Belal Y. Hamzeh said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

My Dog ( Cross breed between a German Shepard and a Saluki
) has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. Unfortunately we
dont have a vet in the area that knows a great deal about
this. Could you please share your experiences with me
....... he is a great Dog, and my family and I are very
worried about him ...

What tests were done before the diagnosis of epilepsy was
reached?

I've had recent good luck in controlling my dog's epilepsy. A
good diet, the right drugs -- or combination of drugs -- have
allowed us to lead a relatively normal life. Rocky's
performance in agility has slipped, but we still have fun .

Tell us a bit more about your dog, Belal. First, what's his
name?

What drugs was he prescribed for his epilepsy? How much does he
weigh? What do you feed him?

How severe are his seizures? I can give you a few pointers if
you fill in a few blanks for me.

Please follow the links that Marcel provided and consider
joining one of the email lists. They're both fairly high
volume, so don't worry too much about being able to do more than
scan most of them.

Good luck, and I hope to hear back from you. Please feel free
to respond privately if you prefer, though posting here might
benefit others.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Old August 6th 03, 02:44 AM
Rocky

Rene said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

It seems that a holistic or homeopathic vet may have more
to offer in this situation.

I don't think that Belal provided enough information to form
such a conclusion.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Old August 6th 03, 11:03 PM
Rene

"Rocky" wrote in message
news:[email protected]
Rene said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

It seems that a holistic or homeopathic vet may have more
to offer in this situation.

I don't think that Belal provided enough information to form
such a conclusion.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.

Sorry, worded it wrong. I should have said "It seems that holistic or
homeopathic vets have more to offer when it comes to Epilepsy." In Belal's
situation, since there are no vets around, a homeopathic vet would be nice
since many do phone consults.

My only experience with epi dogs is with a friend who's dog is epileptic,
another who had hers put to sleep because of epilepsy, and several email
listers.

René

Old August 6th 03, 11:03 PM
Rene

news:[email protected]

Old August 7th 03, 02:26 AM
Rocky

Rene said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Sorry, worded it wrong. I should have said "It seems that
holistic or homeopathic vets have more to offer when it
comes to Epilepsy." In Belal's situation, since there are
no vets around, a homeopathic vet would be nice since many
do phone consults.

I certainly have no problem with holistic treatments for
epilepsy and I know of enough people who have successfully
treated or have able to reduce their dogs' meds through a
combination of those techniques, along with attention to diet.

I still disagree with your statement: "It seems that holistic or
homeopathic vets have more to offer when it comes to Epilepsy".
We don't know the specifics of Belal's situation. Most
importantly, we don't know the frequency or severity of the
seizures.

I'm a believer in stopping the seizures with traditional
allopathic medication if onset involves multiple seizures.
Alternative methods can then be investigated to reduce or
eliminate the medication. We must do everything to avoid
kindling.

IMO, it is all to easy for Belal to investigate homeopathic
remedies on the web or on the phone, find a description of an
alternative treatment and apply it incorrectly or
inappropriately.

No matter his inaccessibility to a veterinarian, he must do so.

My only experience with epi dogs is with a friend who's dog
is epileptic, another who had hers put to sleep because of
epilepsy, and several email listers.

OK.

--
--Matt. Rocky's a Dog.