Our Thanksgiving

Old November 27th 03, 09:55 PM
Debbie S

Default Our Thanksgiving

Sometimes I forget the holidays, I very much prefer my normal day to day
routine. Then someone tries to invite us to Thanksgiving dinner, or
Christmas Eve parties, and I find myself trying to explain that, as much
as I appreciate friends trying to include us, I'd rather be home. I
think there's only one person in my life that understands, a true
friend. The rest shrug their shoulders, looking puzzled.

Since it's clear and dry outside, I'm going to spend a little time with
the competition dogs, polishing skills and playing our favorite games.
Peeka, Janey, Idgie, and Tina are gone now, and I"m very thankful I
still have the others. And as I"m working the dogs that are still with
me, I'll remember how fast Peeka and Idgie were in the weaves, how
damned cute little Teenie Weenie was working the teeter, and how content
dear old Jane was watching from the sidelines. I may cry a few tears,
missing them so, but Winston will come and jump on my stomach, or Kira
will drop a toy at my feet, and we'll play. I"ll be okay, the dogs will
make sure of that.

I think after we work and play a little, I'll take some dogs down to the
river for a walk. Even with all the rain we've had, there's a little
shoreline left for exploring. The fall leaves are beautiful, and the
sounds of the river and woods bring a sense of peace. We'll come home,
I"ll feed the dogs, and wander out into the shop, where Don is welding
my new jumps. He's built some beautiful equipment, and these jumps are
really nice.

Tonight, after our dinner of steak and veggies, we'll watch movies...
tripping over sprawling dog bodies on our way to the kitchen for snacks,
or drinks. Winston will be on the couch next to me, Kira will be trying
to engage _someone in play, Rush will be alternating between barking and
napping, and the rest will be sleeping soundly.

Our Thanksgiving. The dogs and I wish you all peace, contentment, and
full tummies.

Debbie
Winston, Kira, Nikki, Fluffy, Bug, Jilly, Isis, Rush, and occasionally,
Taz.

Old November 28th 03, 01:19 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 12:55:32 -0800 (PST), (Debbie
S) wrote:

[...]

What the hell is wrong with you Deb? You must be an anti-social loser
like me. I too, am hanging out with my dog, having a mellow day, and
being thankful for the frozen food in my fridge. Not to mention the
peace and god-damn quiet. I'm giving thanks for that, too.

Charlie

Old November 29th 03, 12:45 AM

Lynn K. wrote:
Ditto. It's just about a perfect holiday weekend here.

And here, it's just not a holiday without some major system
failure in the house. The boiler went out yesterday, but
since it's been relatively warm I relied on space heaters
rather than calling someone to come out on a holiday. It
was fixed this afternoon, and it's always an adventure for
the dogs when a repairman comes to the house. Saber can't
see well enough to feel comfortable going down the basement
stairs, so he lays at the top and rooroos the whole time
we're down there. In doing so he blocks access by the other
dogs and husky hijinks always ensue.

Fortunately it's turning colder overnight and we're
expecting snow (Chris must have lost Zeffie and Pablo's
booties again), we we're keeping our extremities crossed,
our sled rigged, and our skis waxed.

Bad taste is better than no taste -- Arnold Bennett