Border Collie with Hip dysplasia

Old August 5th 03, 11:47 PM
Mark/Shell

Default Border Collie with Hip dysplasia

Sorry for those of you that have red this in rec.pets.dogs.breeds I didn't
realise I had posted in on the wrong newsgroup and so have reposted to here.
Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.

My Border Collie Doug has slight dysplaysia sorry if I have misspelt) of his
hip. We noticed that he was walking slightly stiff legged, as I had 2 dogs
of 10 and 11 months I assumed it was a war wound (they play fight hard
sometimes) Doug was due to go in to be neutered so I asked them to x-ray his
hips while he was under the anaesthetic as he had been walking stiff legged
for too long for a war wound. The vet said his hip wasn't developing as it
should but it certainly wasn't the worst case they had seen and probably
wouldn't cause him too much trouble until later in life. I was advised to
keep exercise to a bare minimum, especially until he is at least two years
old..

My questions are... How far should I take the "keeping exercise to a bare
minimum?" he is a border collie after all and those who know BC's know they
have an abundance of energy. Plus we are about to move soon where he will
have acres of land to run about on. He loves playing with George, retrieving
etc. Doug is now 16 months old. any advice would be appreciated, especially
what I might expect later on or anything I can do to slow down arthritis
etc.

Many thanks

Shell
see my boys at http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/hollyputt

Old August 7th 03, 01:10 PM
cplus

Well I'm not sure if it will help the hip dysplasia or not but I've gotten
great info for my GSD and his "not so great" hips. I give him 3 tablets of
glucosamine ( I'm going to be switching to the liquid kind because of it's
better absorption rate) and I make sure he gets plenty of daily walks. He's
also on nutro's glucosamine and chondroitin dog food for seniors (wolfie is
7 so it wouldn't be advisable for you to do that) as an added precaution. I
was told that the retrieving running isn't a good as just plain running
(because of all the starts and stops, makes it hard on the joints) but I was
told that running itself was good to keep the muscles strong to support the
hips. I was also told that swimming was an excellent exercise.

I hope that helps and my advice if you haven't already is to look up all you
can about it and go from there

Cp

Training collie Arcury Dog breeds 1 December 12th 03 09:31 PM
2 points about bad advice (in response to lynn kosmakos the dogmurderer) lynn kosmakos is a dog murderer Dog breeds 0 December 11th 03 03:32 AM
Found border collie In Houston Texas Mick McMillin Dog breeds 2 August 13th 03 03:10 AM
Border Collie with hip dysplasia Mark/Shell Dog breeds 8 August 7th 03 05:44 AM
Mental Exercise games for Border Collies dratti Dog breeds 7 August 4th 03 07:34 PM