Help! Golden ate chicken bone. Has diarrhea

Old August 7th 03, 01:36 AM
Nat

Default Help! Golden ate chicken bone. Has diarrhea

Three nights ago my 4 yr. old golden retriever got a cooked chicken
thigh bone before I could get it from her mouth. She also licked a
bunch of the grease in the pan as well. Starting the next day she had
diarrhea. That was Sunday. Today is Wednesday and she still has
diarrhea a few times a day.

I'm worried (of course). I don't know if the grease is causing the
problem or the chicken bone or both? Her appetite is great and she
doesn't seem to be in any pain. She plays just like always.

I'm going to call the vet tomorrow if she still is sick...but I'm
curious if anyone here has experienced something similar with their dog?

thanks in advance.

(worried mom2adog)

Old August 7th 03, 01:39 AM
buglady

"Nat" wrote in message
Three nights ago my 4 yr. old golden retriever got a cooked chicken
thigh bone before I could get it from her mouth. She also licked a
bunch of the grease

I'm worried (of course). I don't know if the grease is causing the
problem or the chicken bone or both? Her appetite is great and she
doesn't seem to be in any pain. She plays just like always.

.............If she's not in any pain and you see no blood or anything in the
stools, I'd imagine it's the grease. Dietary indiscretion often causes
diarrhea! Since she's full grown you can take her off food for 24 hours,
water only, to give her gut a rest. During the times she would normally be
eating, do something fun for 15 minutes and she'll forget about food -
temporarily! I hope she didn't eat a lot of grease - sometimes garbaging
can cause pancreatitis attacks in dogs.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old August 7th 03, 04:22 AM
Nat

Buglady,

Thanks for responding to my question. My golden does not appear to be in any
pain and there is no blood in her stools. She did get a lot of grease and
that's NOT a usual occurrence. I will try to fast her for a day; that should be
very "interesting." My golden girl DEMANDS her breakfast and wakes me up at
6:30am by strumming the mini-blinds like a harp. She then throws a temper
tantrum, snorts and stamps her foot if I don't get up right away to wait on 'her
majesty.' Hee. Yep, tail wags dog in my home. To say she looks forward to
her two meals a day is an understatement!! Maybe some plain white rice for a
day or two to calm her intestines?

Nat

Old August 7th 03, 11:12 AM
buglady

"Nat" wrote in message
Maybe some plain white rice for a
day or two to calm her intestines?

........Well, the object is to give the GI tract a total rest, so a fast
would be better. I know it's hard to do. You may have to leap out of bed
and take your dog out for a special walk! Just make sure she gets plenty to
drink. Chicken broth is fine, as long as it is defatted.

Old August 7th 03, 01:18 PM
cplus

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Nat" wrote in message
Maybe some plain white rice for a
day or two to calm her intestines?

.......Well, the object is to give the GI tract a total rest, so a fast
would be better. I know it's hard to do. You may have to leap out of bed
and take your dog out for a special walk! Just make sure she gets plenty

drink. Chicken broth is fine, as long as it is defatted.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I agree with bug lady. My dog went through 4 days of the runs and what
finally helped was giving her a 24hr rest from food and then about 2 days of
rice and boiled chicken (skinless and boneless of course, teared up into
shreds). After that we just started to slowly introduce her food back in
until she was on her straight food again.

Old August 7th 03, 05:36 PM

After waking me up every 2 hrs. last night to go potty, I took my dog to
the vet this morning. They checked her temp (normal) and noticed mucus
in her stool. Luckily no impaction of chicken bone. They gave her a
shot of something (a prednisone-type med) to calm her lower GI tract.
They also gave me pills to give her twice a day (Metronazole). On the
way home in the car she threw up ALL OVER the place. My car is a mess.
I had given her about 1/2 the amount of her breakfast 2 hrs. before.
That was her first episode of vomiting. I sure hope it's also the
last. The vet said to feed her normal meals, but I'm gonna take it easy
on her anyway. Just lean chicken broth tonight and some little meals of
white rice and chicken tomorrow and Sat.

thanks for the replies! This group is great!

Nat