help with one-time aggression?

Old December 3rd 03, 12:42 AM
gingerdog

Default help with one-time aggression?

Hi, I'm new here but just had a scary encounter. Ginger is a 2 year
old lab/pitbull/whatever mix I got from the shelter 6 months ago.
She's a bit of a nut, but always happy -- not aggressive. Tonight a
young neighbor kid showed up at the front door to visit my son.
Ginger has seen this boy many many times. Tonight, Ginger flew
through the door as my son opened it and latched onto the visitor's
forearm and bit him hard. I was right there - no provoking, etc.
occurred. Ginger was highly agitated, fur standing up and she was
growling. I've never seen her like this. My question: obviously
something provoked her, she didn't act like this by accident, but can
this be an isolated incident? What do I need to do to protect myself
(and kids) and others? How badly should I react to this event?