How much time does a dog really need?

Old December 4th 03, 04:56 AM
Jethro Tull

Default How much time does a dog really need?

I have a house with a fenced yard and all of that good stuff but no dog. I
just would like to have one good "couch potato" friendly dog. Problem is
that I work about 13 hours a day. And I sleep about 6 - 7 hours a night.
That only leaves 4 - 5 hours of good dog bonding time. May not be totally
fair to the dog to be alone so much. I have read the columns about "adopt
an older dog" and see the logic in that. But it is kind of hard to go to
the local shelter and say "you got any older dogs who would not mind being
left alone much of the time?" I can install the doggie door thing but that
is no replacement for actual company.

Is there any breed, mixed breed, or class of dog that can be alone for 13
hours most days without getting stressed about it or am I asking too much?
I sorta like Boxer, German Shepherd Dog, mixed breed type of medium sized
to large dogs. I know a lot of people currently like those 2 - 12 pound
dogs just as much but I like a dog at least as big as a Beagle. Long on
room and yard and love but sorta short on home time at the present time.
Perhaps I should just take the easy way out and enjoy my friends' pets.

The is something about the depth and simplicity of a dog's devotion that
cannot be duplicated elsewhere. But one still cannot have a dog that is
miserable most of the time. Quandry.