Dog Musings

Old December 4th 03, 06:54 AM

Default Dog Musings

Oso is a really good therapy dog. I can't take much credit for it. He
reads people really well. He's lousy at readong dogs. He is rarely
nervous or anxious around people no matter how oddly they act. He is
nervous and anxious of any dog that is pushy, busy, rude or just obviously
not under control. When he is on therapy visits he trusts the dogs there
because he trusts me. Yet his talents with people is remarkable. He is
animated, even pushy, with dog lovers, quiet and respectful of those less
sure of dogs. People who tend to worry most dogs - those who are loud or
with jerky movements, or loud raspy breathing - they don't worry Oso at
all. He as sometimes been invited on a visit specifically because of his
tolerance and calmness.

I think he is the most complex dog I've dealt with. His behaviors tend to
the extremes with little in the middle. He either strolls or runs, he
rarely trots. I watched with a smile as he galloped around the house this
afternoon - otherwise he's snoozing. He is either very calm or very
agitated. He is very situation specific - he has one set of reactions in
the public park, another at agility events, another on therapy visits.

Its funny how things so often don't turn out the way you would expect. He
is now 12 1/2 and (knock on wood) in relatively good health. He can jump
in and out of the van and run up and down the stairs. He looks old, he
acts old, except when he decides to gallop around the house chasing Tsuki.
:-)

Diane Blackman