My Golden has Chicken Pox?

Old August 8th 03, 01:33 AM
Dave Norton

Default My Golden has Chicken Pox?

My 16 month old Golden Retriever appears to have developed Chicken Pox, is
there such a thing for dogs? She seems to have little "scabs", similar to
chicken pox all over her body. I thought I'd found a HUGE infestation of
ticks, but this isn't ticks. It's everywhere on her body, very obvious on
her underside, but it you part the hair other places it's there.

She was just at the vet....2 weeks ago for a round of shots, rabies, parvo,
?. We left her at a kennel for 1 night, for a weekend away ~ 24 hours
later. Then this last week she had an encounter with a skunk.

Could she have a reaction to any of the vacinations?
Could she have picked up something in the kennel?
Could she have a reaction to the skunk shampoo?
Could it be something else?

Old August 8th 03, 03:15 AM
ZPL

I think she needs to see the vet again. After the vaccinations, the stress
of staying in detention, and the stuff you used to counteract the skunk, she
may have a skin thing that needs to be seen. A skin scraping may be in
order to look for something like yeast or demodex or something.

Old August 10th 03, 02:32 PM
Dave Norton

The vet said it was an alergic reaction, probably to the skunk shampoo. She
(Vet) recommended giving Emma 25mg benadryl to help the itching, and wait it
out.

Thanks,

"Sharon" wrote in message
Yes to any or all of the above. It could also be an allergic

reaction
something else. You should have her checked by a vet for diagnosis and
treatment.

A question to those with knowledge about skin diseases, could this be a
mange? I hope not, but maybe he should get a skin scraping done.

-Sharon

Old August 10th 03, 06:49 PM
Sharon

The vet said it was an alergic reaction, probably to the skunk shampoo.
She
(Vet) recommended giving Emma 25mg benadryl to help the itching, and wait

it
out.

Good to hear it wasn't serious. Sometimes a conconction of dish soap, H2O2
and a couple other things works better than the commercial skunk remedies.
I'll have to check at work tomorrow.

-Sharon