Frankie Part III--He's Home!

Old December 4th 03, 10:45 PM
Dimpled Chad

Default Frankie Part III--He's Home!

Today's blood tests were much improved. His platelet count has reached 93000,
up from 15000 yesterday. Above 50000, we're not worried any longer about the
inability to clot and spontaneous bleeding. The vets expect he'll be back to
normal range (200k) in a few days, if not close to that number already (since
the blood sample was taken around 8am).

So he's home. Another platelet test Saturday, then a full screen a week from
then. He's on heavy doses of prednisolone until his platelet count reaches
normal, then we'll start tapering back to see if we can go off completely, or
if we have to keep him on some dosage for a while. He's also on azathioprine,
which is another immuno-suppresant drug, which hopefully will allow us to
taper back the steroid use. He's on an antibiotic (enrofloxacin) and pepsid
too.

In a few days we'll have lab results back that will hopefully help answer
some questions: is the immune-mediated thrombocytopenia primary or secondary,
and if the latter what might be the cause. We'll probably do an abdominal
ultrasound too.

The murmur and the bladder stones have become secondary issues, to be looked
at a bit down the road.

We're glad he's home. It was quite a shock. We know that he's not completely
out of the woods yet. But he's looking good and acting happy. Always good
signs for the moment...

Thanks, everyone, for your wellness vibes and well wishes.

Chad and Frankie

--
Looking for a pet? Adopt one! ** http://www.petfinder.com
Info for a healthy, happy dog? * http://www.dog-play.com

It's hard to think of you as the end result of
millions of years of evolution.