German Shepherd limping

Old August 9th 03, 01:15 AM
Ed

Default German Shepherd limping

My Eight month old German Shepherd is limping badly and sort of
bending his paw like his wrist was sprained. Does this happen ?
Old August 10th 03, 03:34 AM
Blasjj

yes, it happens. Xrays would help.. possibly a sprain.. could be worse,
less.. X-rays and a vet visit will tell all.

Old August 13th 03, 05:34 PM
Brooke Mock

I would have his elbows x-ray ASAP. One of my GSDs had a limp on and off
for a while at about the same age and the vets kept dumping anti-inflams on
him. Then he jumped off a small (2ft) deck and rolled in pain. I took him
for xrays (I thought he broke something) and he had un-united anceal (sic)
process, commonally referred to as UAP, in both elbows. As it turns out,
GSDs are the poster dog for this disorder. The disorder is caused by a bone
the size of the tip of your thumb that starts out disconnected, but fuses to
either the ulna or radius (I forget) in the elbow joint. It typically fuses
at around 5 months. If it doesn't fuse, then it floats around in the joint
causing intermittent pain when it interferes with the joint. The most
common treatment is to have the bone surgically removed. Mine had to have
both removed. There are long term joint instability issues in his future,
but the anti-inflams will help there.

DJM

Old December 1st 03, 09:13 PM
NoName

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 00:15:04 GMT, Ed
wrote:

My GSD girl went lame for no apparent reason a few months ago.
With aspirin and rest she was over it in a couple of weeks. But I
couldn't stand it, and went in for x-rays. The vet called it "deep
tissue bruising", but, Looking back, I think it was Pano. But, I now
have confirmation that her hips are rated "good". (an additional
film in case those who are challenge-minded want to note that the Pano
is in an entirely different location than the hips. Geez I get so
tired of all these internet caveats)

DD