Observation

Old December 6th 03, 04:41 AM
Leah

Default Observation

Wondering if other trainers have also noticed this...

There seems to be a phenomenon that happens with shy and fearful dogs when
they're about to have a socialization break-through. They may have been very
focused and obedient in class, but one day you just can't get their attention
no matter what you do. They're just about obsessed with other dogs, or other
people, or both (depending on what they've been afraid of).

I normally tell the owners not to worry about it, and that the interest in
others is more important at that point than the obedience... and I don't ask
them to do anything since they'll fail at that point (even on a sit, in some
cases).

The most recent was Samson. Last week he did nothing but bark, bark, bark at
every dog he saw. It was a high-pitched bark, with his tail waving a
mile-a-minute. He wouldn't even meet my eyes or his owner's eyes. Normally
I'll use a water pistol on incessant barkers, but if it's their first attempt
to communicate with other dogs, I let it slide. When it's happened with other
dogs in class, it only lasts usually for one session. It seems to signal that
they're about to venture out from under their owner's chair for the first time.

This week, he was at ease for the first time with the other dogs in class, and
even played a little. And his focus was great. His confidence improved with
people, too. We were able to get a lot more out of him in class than ever
before.

They don't always bark, but they do always lose interest in everything else but
the object they used to fear.

The most dramatic was Ali. She was a rescue who walked slowly, kept her head
down, and was aloof (in a pleasant way, not aggressive) to people and dogs.
You'd get a little lick and a tail wag as a greeting, but for an 8 month old,
she was very sedate.

One day she pulled her owner into the training area - up until then, she had to
be coerced to come in. Her e*pression and body posture were so different I
wouldn't have recognized her on the street. She had been an easy dog to train,
but that day she would do nothing but watch people and dogs walk by.

Since she was the only dog who showed up to class that day, I told her owner to
forget obedience - let's go walk around the store and let her meet and greet.

What a social butterfly! She wanted to jump up on everybody, which she had
*never* done before. She greeted every person and every dog in an outwardly
friendly manner. When it was time to leave, instead of running out the door,
little miss Used-to-Do-Whatever-Mama-Said planted her feet and refused to move.
She wanted to stay! From that day on, Ali was a friendly, confident, happy
dog - and we had no further problems with her in obedience.

Have any of you noticed this?

Samson's owners were embarrassed last week. I gave him a sticker for it, and
told them that there was a dramatic and wonderful change coming. And he didn't
let me down. :}

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Old December 6th 03, 04:53 AM
Suja

Leah wrote:

Wondering if other trainers have also noticed this...

Not a trainer, not do I play one on TeeVee, but...

There seems to be a phenomenon that happens with shy and fearful dogs when
they're about to have a socialization break-through.

Never happened with Khan. Pretty sure at this point that it won't ever
happen that way. He evaluates on a case by case basis whether a human
is okay or not. The biggest difference has been that he's deciding far
more frequently that the human poses no threat, and he's deciding it
much more quickly than he used to.

BTW, real progress has taken over 2 years. Something like this, you
most likely won't see in your training class.

Suja

Old December 6th 03, 08:50 PM
Sionnach

BTW, real progress has taken over 2 years. Something like this, you
most likely won't see in your training class.

I'm wondering what the *ages* are on the dogs Leah's describing.
Sometimes, fear issues are connected to, and/or exaggerated by,
developmental and hormonal issues.
So perhaps some of what she's seeing is due to maturation coinciding with
training/socialization...

T'other thing that occurs - just playing Devil's Advocate/thinking
logically- is the question of what *external* factors might have affect dogs
on the days when they suddenly display different behaviours.
For example, a dog might act fearful/subdued in classes because of
something unnoticed by humans such as the noise the ventilation system or PA
makes, or large numbers of shoppers in the store.
If, by chance, the vent system was off, or there happened to be no other
shoppers around, that could make the behaviour disappear.

Old December 6th 03, 10:11 PM
Rafiki Kosmakos

I see it all the time. The dog has simply made a good association with
the training location and is now open to interaction.

Lynn K.