Help with a Miniature Pinscher

Old December 6th 03, 04:29 AM
Magic

Default Help with a Miniature Pinscher

I hope someone can help me here....

7 months ago, we were given a Miniature Pinscher. He was 1 1/2 years old
when we got him and house broken.

The problem we are having with him, is the constant destruction when he
his left alone. As long as someone is in the house with him, he is
fine. But today I had to run some errands and my s/o was asleep when i
left, and upon returning home he had destructed a few things.( this is
unusual when someone is here).

We were given a crate, how do we go about training him to stay in it
when we have to go out ? This summer was easy, we dog proofed our porch
for him, but now that winter is here it's not as easy.

Any help given would be greatly appreciated !

Here is his pic:
http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/tally/Bailey2.jpg

Thank You !
Tally

Old December 6th 03, 04:50 AM
lcjr

Magic wrote:
I hope someone can help me here....

7 months ago, we were given a Miniature Pinscher. He was 1 1/2 years old
when we got him and house broken.

The problem we are having with him, is the constant destruction when he
his left alone. As long as someone is in the house with him, he is
fine. But today I had to run some errands and my s/o was asleep when i
left, and upon returning home he had destructed a few things.( this is
unusual when someone is here).

We were given a crate, how do we go about training him to stay in it
when we have to go out ? This summer was easy, we dog proofed our porch
for him, but now that winter is here it's not as easy.

Any help given would be greatly appreciated !

Here is his pic:
http://www.angelfire.com/wv2/tally/Bailey2.jpg

Thank You !
Tally

Doesn't your crate have a door? Or is he actually opening it by himself?
Perhaps I have the whole Crate idea wrong?

I've never had a problem with my youngest staying in her crate when I
close/lock the door. In fact, if she is scared at all she runs back to
her "safe haven". We even had to get 2 more crates so the other 2 dogs
didn't fight over the one.

I'd put in some fun toys and a blanket that you may have slept with so
he still smells you and is more relaxed.

Best of luck

Old December 7th 03, 08:02 AM

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 23:29:42 -0500 (EST), ("
Magic ") wrote:

The problem we are having with him, is the constant destruction when he
his left alone. As long as someone is in the house with him, he is
fine. But today I had to run some errands and my s/o was asleep when i
left, and upon returning home he had destructed a few things.( this is
unusual when someone is here).

We were given a crate, how do we go about training him to stay in it
when we have to go out ? This summer was easy, we dog proofed our porch
for him, but now that winter is here it's not as easy.

Hi there, I own a mini pinscher and this is typical min pin type
behavior. This breed is more prone to separation anxiety than others.
You really need to dog proof the house to make sure they dont get in
the trash or power cords. I usually leave my min pin (Blue) at my
parent's house when I go to work. Of course not everyone can do this
but a safe/secure room with a window to look out of and toys to play
with is also adequate. You can leave them in the crate during the day
but I advise against doing this for long periods of time. My pin gets
very neurotic when you leave her in the crate too long. The only way
to ensure they "stay" in the crate is to close the door and lock it.
If you give min pins the space to wander they will investigate every
square inch. I don't live in a small house by any means and she is
very nosy and curious about everything that goes on. Plus Blue has the
habit of going in and out of the house. If you let her out she'll want
back in a few minutes later..then we let her in she'll want out again.
It took awhile to stop that annoying behavior but it's working now.

Anyways good luck, I am a first time min pin owner too if you have any
questions feel free to ask.

Old December 8th 03, 08:42 PM
Leah

Hi there, I own a mini pinscher and this is typical min pin type
behavior. This breed is more prone to separation anxiety than others.

Is this true? I've not seen any of it in min pins, but then again, I've
probably only dealt with about 10 of them.

I know that rescue dogs are more prone to it, no matter what their breed. They
have security issues.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

Miniature Pincher Bob Dog breeds 2 September 9th 04 01:54 PM
Miniature Schnauzer breeder JonMikah Dog breeds 2 April 6th 04 12:56 PM
Where to get a dachshund or miniature schnauzer in the UK (London area)? bluecalx Dog breeds 1 October 13th 03 04:42 PM
What's wrong with my mini pinscher?? shelly Dog behavior 24 September 7th 03 01:41 AM
What's wrong with my mini pinscher?? [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 6th 03 08:15 PM