LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Old December 9th 03, 04:05 AM
Kenneth Contois

Default LOOKING FOR A DOG OR PUPPY IN TIME FOR XMAS!!

Hi,

I have a 9 month old son and am looking to get him a dog or puppy for
christmas. We had a dog but unfortunately had to give her away one year ago
due to my pregnancy. If I would have known we would have found a temporary
home. If by any chance the people that have Tasha, a 3 yr old Rotty, not
fixed, see this message, and are looking to give her back or could find it
in their hearts to let her come back to us, please contact us, we'll take
her back. We gave her away in Jan 2003.

We are really hoping to get one for this Christmas. We are looking for a
dog who is good with babies, this is the most important thing. If it is an
older dog, trained. Either large, medium or small breed. If you are
looking to find a good home for your pet please reply, you would be giving
our son his best Xmas gift of all, a friend. Feel free to send a picture of
your pet.

Thank you,

Jody and Kenneth Contois

Old December 9th 03, 06:09 AM
Rocky

Kenneth Contois said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have a 9 month old son and am looking to get him a dog or
puppy for christmas.

So, your son has been asking for a pet dog?

Now is not the best time to bring a dog into your house. Not
only do you have a new child and would be doubling up on your
supervisory duties, but it's a hectic time of year.

We had a dog but unfortunately had to
give her away one year ago due to my pregnancy.

Why did you *have* to give her up? Once more, I don't think
that you should get a dog right now. Wait until you're sure
that you're ready for a 15 year commitment.

If I would
have known we would have found a temporary home.

If you had known what, exactly?

Re-evaluate your priorities. It speaks volumes that you've
waited until 2 weeks before Hmas to make such a huge commitment
to a living being.

Old December 9th 03, 06:14 AM
Rocky

Handsome "Jack" Morrison said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm just going to say a prayer and hope that this is a
ruse/troll.

It pushes all the right buttons, but I felt it best to respond
anyway. After all, it *is* the season of giving. Heh.

Old December 9th 03, 06:46 AM

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 22:05:44 -0500 Kenneth Contois whittled these words:
Hi,

I have a 9 month old son and am looking to get him a dog or puppy for
christmas.

:-) Sounds like when the husband says he's getting his wife a wonderful
present - a year's free pass to the topless dancer club. Saying your
want a dog for a nine month old baby is just silly.

We had a dog but unfortunately had to give her away one year ago
due to my pregnancy.

You gave the dog away because you were either unable or unwilling to do
what was necessary to keep the dog. Taking everything into account it ws
probably the right choice for you and is still the right choice. You have
a nine month old baby who needs and deserves all the attention you can
give him. You had your opportunity to take on both at once and you passed
on that opportunity. What has changed that makes the situation different?
The fact that your baby is here and will be getting into things now means
your time devoted to your child will continue to increase. His need for
supervision will increase, and his need for your involvement with him will
increase.

If I would have known we would have found a temporary
home. If by any chance the people that have Tasha, a 3 yr old Rotty, not
fixed, see this message, and are looking to give her back or could find it
in their hearts to let her come back to us, please contact us, we'll take
her back. We gave her away in Jan 2003.

That's not a nice thing to do to a dog. Let her keep her stable life.

We are really hoping to get one for this Christmas. We are looking for a
dog who is good with babies, this is the most important thing. If it is an
older dog, trained. Either large, medium or small breed. If you are
looking to find a good home for your pet please reply, you would be giving
our son his best Xmas gift of all, a friend. Feel free to send a picture of
your pet.

If you honestly think that a dog, no matter how good with babies, is going
to be a "friend" to your baby then you are not being realistic. That lack
of being realistic spells real danger to your baby if you should actually
acquire a dog. It will take a good number of years before your baby is
old enough and confident enough to actually see a dog as a friend. For at
least the first several years of his life your child will primarily see a
dog as a rival.

You will know that it is the right time to add a dog to the household when
you can be realistic about the nature of dogs, their needs, and your
needs, and when all of these mesh nicely. I suspect that if you really
sit down and think about the role you hoped a dog would play that you will
find there are other ways to meet the need that are safer for the baby and
less stressful for you.

Diane Blackman