Now I've gone and done it

Old December 9th 03, 06:38 PM
Debbie the Underdogged

Default Now I've gone and done it

As if 6 animals (3 small dogs, 3 cats) aren't enough:

I had to go open my big mouth when my sister told me her neighbors are
going to Germany for 4 months to a year and can't take their 70 pound
GSD/Lab/whoknowswhat mix with them, so are desperately looking for a
temp home, as they really don't want to give him up permanently, and I
said "If you absolutely can't find anywhere else I'll take him". And
so, I got THE email. I've put them in touch with one last person, but
if that doesn't work out, I've got myself my first big dog.

So, Baxter is a big hunk of energetic sweetness, but not at all
dominant, otherwise I couldn't have offered, as my little 3 (6 pound
boy, 9 pound boy, 8 pound girl, all neutered, of course) are constantly
fracassing to be top dog. I've walked him and observed his behaviour
around other dogs: he playbows to all of them, no matter what the size,
and there's absolutely none of this paw-over-the-back or trying to mount
stuff. He lets me take food out of his mouth without any problems. I
intend to put him in doggie day care (financed by his owners) on the
days I work, and will be keeping him seperated from the other dogs when
I'm not home otherwise until I've ascertained that he's 100% okay with
them, no matter what. I live close to 2 different off-leash parks, so
will be taking him there on a regular basis. He's very easy to train,
and I have his owners' permission to train him in dogscootering (I have
the scooter already :-)). I may also get him certified as a therapy
dog. I have to admit it will be nice to have a big dog to take on
nighttime walks.

Any other tips for peaceful coexistance with dogs of such different
sizes would be very welcome.

Thanx,
--
Debbie the Underdogged das at spamcop dot net
"I'm not crazy, I've just been in a very bad mood for 40 years."
Old December 9th 03, 10:53 PM
FurPaw

Debbie the Underdogged wrote:
[...]

If it's anything like my four, Baxter will have more problems from your
little dogs than they will from him (outside of having to dodge a big goofy
energetic dog). Dylan (GSD) and Oppie (Lab) act more amused (bemused?)
than anything when Gordo and Chile (Chihuahuas) try to attack or boss them
around; the big dogs are very gentle with the little dogs. Dylan is
dominant, but she lays off the little dogs and just bosses Oppie, and lets
the little dogs chase her.

Tips off the top of my head: Let the little dogs have a "safe" space,
where they can get out of Baxter's way. Our little dogs are allowed up on
furniture and beds; the big dogs aren't. Some people use a gate with a
small opening that allows the little dogs through, but not the big dog.
Feed them in separate spaces or separate rooms. Teach Baxter a command to
calm down and sit, for use if he gets too wound up around the little dogs.

It sounds like he's a love, and will be a lot of fun for you.

FurPaw
--
Brain cells come and brain cells go, but fat cells live forever.

To reply, unleash the dog.

Old December 10th 03, 04:25 PM
Debbie the Underdogged

says...
[...]

Great tips: thank you!

It sounds like he's a love, and will be a lot of fun for you.

He certainly is. Perfect dog to be someone's first experience with big
dogs. His owners got him from a rescue which had sprung him from a very
bad situation (starved and beaten, never aggressive but afraid of
everything) and they've done wonders in getting him to trust again.
They're on on a preliminary trip to Germany and will be back next week,
so I'll find out then whether I get him or not.