Koda vs Humphrey

Old December 11th 03, 12:44 AM
Tim Knight

Default Koda vs Humphrey

We are newbies to puppy ownership so please forgive if this is a stupid
question.

Koda, the puppy, has been 'humping' my five year old. I gather this is a
display of dominance, which we think we have beat. Koda though has a new
'friend'. A stuffed toy that he plays with has now become the focus of
attention. Our thirteen year old son took delight in naming the toy
'Hump'hrey. My question is do I allow him to continue to 'dominate' this
toy, or by allowing this am I encouraging further bad behaviour. I'm also
curious if I stop Koda from mounting the toy, he'll return his attention to
my five year old.

The puppy, if it matters, is a cross between a Wheaten Terrier and an Eskimo
Spitz.

Thanks,

Tim Knight

Old December 11th 03, 01:09 AM

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 00:44:17 GMT Tim Knight whittled these words:
We are newbies to puppy ownership so please forgive if this is a stupid
question.

Koda, the puppy, has been 'humping' my five year old. I gather this is a
display of dominance, which we think we have beat. Koda though has a new
'friend'. A stuffed toy that he plays with has now become the focus of
attention. Our thirteen year old son took delight in naming the toy
'Hump'hrey. My question is do I allow him to continue to 'dominate' this
toy, or by allowing this am I encouraging further bad behaviour. I'm also
curious if I stop Koda from mounting the toy, he'll return his attention to
my five year old.

The puppy, if it matters, is a cross between a Wheaten Terrier and an Eskimo
Spitz.

Your dog is not confusing a toy with a human or even another dog. So his
behavior relative to the toy is not "bad". I don't see it as a problem.
In general if a particular behavior is satisfying to the dog but has some
unsatisfactory component (like the attention to your son) you will be
more successful by allowing an acceptable outlet than trying to repress
the behavior entirely.

Diane Blackman

Old December 11th 03, 03:21 AM
Sunflower

"Tim Knight" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
We are newbies to puppy ownership so please forgive if this is a stupid
question.

Koda, the puppy, has been 'humping' my five year old. I gather this is a
display of dominance, which we think we have beat. Koda though has a new
'friend'. A stuffed toy that he plays with has now become the focus of
attention. Our thirteen year old son took delight in naming the toy
'Hump'hrey. My question is do I allow him to continue to 'dominate' this
toy, or by allowing this am I encouraging further bad behaviour. I'm also
curious if I stop Koda from mounting the toy, he'll return his attention

my five year old.

The puppy, if it matters, is a cross between a Wheaten Terrier and an

Eskimo
Spitz.

Thanks,

Tim Knight

Has he been neutered yet? Sometimes those awakening hormones will cause
"issues" as well as dominance behavior. Optimally, puppies should be
spay/neutered just before they begin to reach sexual maturity and you'll
have less behavior problems. Sexual maturity can occur as early as 6 months,
and basically is rather like a 13 year old human who "can", but in no way
"should".

Old December 11th 03, 12:59 PM
J1Boss

Hump-phrey - I love it - creative 13 yo you have!

Franklin had "Mr Polar Bear" as his "love object". For other dogs it's been
their dog beds. By the time Mr Polar Bear was ready for the great
woobie-heaven, Franklin was also getting neutered.

He and Lucy play-mount each other at times, but not for long and not to any
great conclusion. He's never tried mounting a human - it's totally unrelated.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine