tips needed: good dog indoor, bad dog when got out

Old December 11th 03, 11:30 PM
Paul G

Default tips needed: good dog indoor, bad dog when got out

hi I got my 1&1/2 year old lab/shepherd mix female from humane society
for 2 monthes now. She's very obedient and good when she's indoor, she
can retrieve, sit, stay, search and she's housebroken.

BUT! when she got outside of the house, she's wild. She will get
completely distracted by the surrounding: pull on leash, chase
squirrel/bird, no heeling, so i can pretty much forget letting her
off-leash or do "fetch"(she would ignore the ball). I tried choke
chain but still the same. When i take it off she will run wild again.

ppl said it's b/c she's still young and she would be ok after passing
2 years old mark. But i see an extremely obedient 6 month old german
shepherd can go unleashed in the park no problem. Wonder how to do
that?

I do let her out a lot, twice a day walking around the community and
also the park, and i do bike her a lot and run her till tired. But i
can't let her off-leashed running alongside and do fetching, which is
my goal for her.

any idea?
Old December 11th 03, 11:57 PM
Lone Hansen

"Paul G" wrote in message
om...
hi I got my 1&1/2 year old lab/shepherd mix female from humane society
for 2 monthes now. She's very obedient and good when she's indoor, she
can retrieve, sit, stay, search and she's housebroken.

BUT! when she got outside of the house, she's wild. She will get
completely distracted by the surrounding: pull on leash, chase
squirrel/bird, no heeling, so i can pretty much forget letting her
off-leash or do "fetch"(she would ignore the ball). I tried choke
chain but still the same. When i take it off she will run wild again.

- Mind you I am no expert but here is what I did when I got my 1.5 year
old dog.

I trained a "look at me" command, by awarding her when she focused on
me..... you can use toys, treats etc for getting that attention. You can
also try a halti, as it will give you more control over her head.
Work on bullet proof sit, stay down, come etc. An obedience class will
be of help here for you.
I couldn't let my dog off the lead until I was absolutely sure that she
would come when I called her, so I got a long line for her. The long line
provided her with the opportunity to let of a bit of steam while I still had
a hold on her. It is also a good way of working on the "come" command as you
are sure that she can't blow you off as you are still at the other end of
the rope.

Lone

---

Old December 12th 03, 12:10 AM
Suja

Paul G wrote:

hi I got my 1&1/2 year old lab/shepherd mix female from humane society
for 2 monthes now. She's very obedient and good when she's indoor, she
can retrieve, sit, stay, search and she's housebroken.

BUT! when she got outside of the house, she's wild. She will get

It is too much stimulation for her, all at once, and dogs don't
generalize like we do. So for her, all those commands only have meaning
in an indoor setting, and it is up to you to teach her that they mean
the same thing outdoors.

If you know that you have a solid command (Sit for example), start off
by having her away from the door but some place where she can see the
door, and put her in a sit with the door slightly ajar. Work towards
lessening the distance to the door OR having the door open more and
more, but not both at the same time. How fast you can push her is
something that will be determined by how much progress she makes. If
she can hold the sit with the door wide open while she is at the
threshhold, your next step would be to get her to sit while just outside
the door. Any time she regresses, take a step back. BTW, when you're
just starting to work outdoors, find spaces that offer the least amount
of distractions (not too many people, critters, etc.) and work towards
getting her to listen in increasingly distracting environments. You
might also need to use extra special treats (for example) to make sure
that you keep her focus on you and not on her environment.

Finally, not all dogs are reliable off-leash. Sometimes despite
enormous amounts of time and effort put into it. If your pup is really
a Lab/Shepherd mix, this most likely won't be a problem, but it is
something to keep in mind.

Suja

Old December 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Paul G

thanks guys, I will try it on her.
Old December 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Paul G

thanks guys, I will try it on her.
Old December 13th 03, 09:09 AM
Paul G

thanks guys, I will try it on her.

shelly DETHRONES NESSA as MVP (Most Valuable Psychotic) of dog newsgroups!! _michael 2.76 Dog breeds 0 September 20th 04 01:28 AM
My good dog! mom2adog Dog behavior 2 August 25th 03 06:19 PM
My good dog! mom2adog Dog health 0 August 25th 03 05:14 PM
My good dog! mom2adog Dog health 0 August 25th 03 05:14 PM
No good turn goes unpunished Charles Richmond Dog rescue 16 July 18th 03 04:27 AM