Does concrete taste good?

Old August 11th 03, 03:16 AM
bentcajungirl

Default Does concrete taste good?

My Boston Terrier, 10 weeks old, is quite active and seems to be extemely
healthy. We go for hour long walks and visits around the neighborhood each
evening. She looks forward to visiting with all of her "friends". Dogs and
people. We stop usually midway at a neighborhood park and Dixie always is
chewing on cement. Front teeth and sometimes she'll turn her head to use
her canines. The scraping sound of her teeth on the cement is worse than
fingernails on a chalkboard. We also have a brick kitchen island at home
and I've caught her sidling up to it gnawing on the bricks.
She does have her puppy molars that are erupting, but that is not where the
chewing is focused, mostly on her front teeth and canines. Anybody else had
a dog who had a thing for concrete?
Perry
bentcajungirl

Old August 11th 03, 07:58 AM
Sharon

I have a 9-week old rottie that does the exact same thing. He crunches on
cement and rocks like its candy. I stop him all the time but sometimes he
eats rocks before I can stop him. Can this be harmful to him? if so, how

do
I break the habit?

I'm at a loss for the behavior part, but the dog ingesting the rocks can be
*very* dangerous as they can lodge in the digestive tract. I've seen huge
quantities of rocks surgically removed from dogs before. Not a pretty sight!

-Sharon

Old August 11th 03, 09:09 AM
Jackiemum

bentcajungirl wrote:
My Boston Terrier, 10 weeks old, is quite active and seems to be
extemely healthy. We go for hour long walks and visits around the
neighborhood each evening. She looks forward to visiting with all of
her "friends". Dogs and people. We stop usually midway at a
neighborhood park and Dixie always is chewing on cement. Front teeth
and sometimes she'll turn her head to use her canines. The scraping
sound of her teeth on the cement is worse than fingernails on a
chalkboard. We also have a brick kitchen island at home and I've
caught her sidling up to it gnawing on the bricks.
She does have her puppy molars that are erupting, but that is not
where the chewing is focused, mostly on her front teeth and canines.
Anybody else had a dog who had a thing for concrete?
Perry
bentcajungirl

I have a 7 year old lab/cauli (!) who STILL chews on concrete - and cries
while she is doing it. I thought it was hurting her and she has lost the
point to her canines - but she walks around with bricks and if she can shave
them down she will. I thought this was just something that my dog does -
one of her quirks - never come across it with anyones elses dog. She does
have a few 'pet' air bricks in the garden that she has had for years - never
swallows the bits, just crumbles them up.
Embarrassing when we are out walking and I have tried to stop her but she
just screams at me and goes back to it.
Apart from her arthritis she seems healthy enough.
Jackie
--
remove munch to reply