Maggie: 1990-2003

Old December 12th 03, 09:00 PM
Mark Shaw

Default Maggie: 1990-2003

Longtime readers of these newsgroups are already familiar with
Maggie and her health issues, but for those who aren't:

Our 13-year-old Labrador Retriever, Maggie, has had liver cancer
for several years (that we know of). She'd been kept alive and
fairly happy with a combination of conventional and herbal medi-
cine, but last Saturday she quit eating. Tests revealed that her
kidneys were failing, so we made the decision to euthanize. The
vet came to the house today.

She'd been up and down all morning, but very unsteady -- her back
legs had begun splaying out to the side and she wasn't able to
stand properly. About 11:00 I noticed that she was about to fall
over, so I made her lie down on her left side (she's been bothered
by pain on her right side for some time) in the living room. She
never got up.

The vet came about 1:00, and we gave her her release. I'm pretty
sure she wasn't in much pain, but she was obviously uncomfortable
and disoriented from the chemical stew coursing through her blood-
stream, so despite the suggestion from the vet that we could just
let her go naturally if we wanted -- within hours, she said -- we
opted to proceed. There was no struggle or anything like that, but
she did require a full dose of the euthanasia drug -- obstinate to
the end.

Goodbye, Sweet Girl.

Pics of Maggie and some of her friends can be found at my website
(URL below).

[followups set to rec.pets.dogs.behavior]

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The longer you go, the more the music gets into the walls."
Old December 12th 03, 09:05 PM
Rocky

[posted and mailed]

Mark Shaw said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Goodbye, Sweet Girl.

I'm sorry to hear this, Mark. It's good that she went at home
where she's comfortable.

Old December 12th 03, 09:09 PM
Gwen Watson

Mark Shaw wrote:

the end.

Goodbye, Sweet Girl.

Pics of Maggie and some of her friends can be found at my website
(URL below).

[followups set to rec.pets.dogs.behavior]

--
Mark Shaw contact info at homepage -- http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
"The longer you go, the more the music gets into the walls."
-Muddy Waters

Mark I am so sorry to read this.

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

I can't even gather the right words to express
my sorrow.

Gwen

Old December 12th 03, 09:14 PM
J1Boss

so sorry Mark - you gave her some great years.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine

Maggie: 1990-2003 Mark Shaw Dog breeds 2 December 13th 03 05:45 AM
1 Day Left to Enroll in the 2003 Texas Iron Dogs Camp Andrew Mouser Dog activities 0 October 14th 03 12:12 AM
Toby 1999-August 13, 2003 Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 64 August 18th 03 07:47 PM
Toby 1999-August 13, 2003 Kevin Michael Vail Dog behavior 0 August 14th 03 12:04 AM
EVENT: Structure seminar, Columbus, OH - Nov. 1/2, 2003 Lisa Baird Dog breeds 5 July 15th 03 12:38 AM