vicious old bitch strikes again

Old December 15th 03, 11:22 AM
Rosa Palmén

Default vicious old bitch strikes again

Well it's not quite as bad as the subject implies, but I would love to hear
ideas on what to do.

Yala (10y spayed tervuren) attacked Hobbe (1,5y intact male) when I was
walking them. This is something she hasn't done before, usually she is much
more tolerant than usual when on leash.
She has never liked him very much, he is not allowed to get too close to her
or to lick her face, only exception being when one of us is
scratching/hugging/cuddling with her, then he sneaks up and kisses her and
she is ok with it. She does however play with him, they chase each other,
but mostly she chases him.

That's the background, now what happened was this:
We had just come out from the dogpark where we had been alone, the dogs were
a little bit agitated. They both sniffed something in the snow while we
walked, and suddenly a growl, and her face against his. He started to cry
and bark, and danced around a few seconds untill I got them both to sit.
Yala immediatley calmed down after she had chased him away from her
snow/scent/whatever. Hobbe calmed down while I was "having a talk" with
Yala. I couldn't find anything wrong with Hobbe then, but 12h later one side
of his muzzle was a bit swollen and when I inspected it in really bright
light I could find a couple of dents, it looks like they are just from the
pressure, no broken skin.

Is there anything I can do?
She always stops when I shout/growl/whatever I do when I notice it and I
think that even if I didn't, these attacks wouldn't last more than a few
seconds.
Indoors she has always warned him with a growl when he tries to take a bone
or toy that she considers hers or that is close to where she is lying.
So why does she sometimes do these lightning attacks where she warns and
snaps within a fraction of a second?

Rosa