Opinions on Dog Food

Old August 12th 03, 03:16 AM
Markeg

Default Opinions on Dog Food

I need a good reccomendation on premium dog food. My 2 yr old Sheltie just
got tired of Canidae. He's been eating it for about a year. He usually
gets bored with food in 8-12 months.
I am trying California Natural but it might be too rich for him. His stools
are a little loose.
Any suggestions?

Mark

Old August 12th 03, 03:28 AM
Sharon

I am trying California Natural but it might be too rich for him. His
stools
are a little loose.
Any suggestions?

It may take a week or so for the dog's system to become adjusted to the
change in diet, no matter what it is. Expect some stool changes at first
(and gas). Mix the new stuff with the old food at first, slowly making the
new food the only thing in the dish. As for recommendations, We like Hills,
Iams, even Purina has some good lines. What works with some dogs doesn't
with others. I'm sure you'll get a lot of recommendations. Good luck.

-Sharon

Old August 12th 03, 04:11 AM
Rocky

Markeg said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I am trying California Natural but it might be too rich for
him. His stools are a little loose.

Which formulation of California Natural? One of my dogs is
doing really well on the chicken version. If you're using the
lamb, try switching.

Old August 12th 03, 06:19 AM
CJ

A premium dog food,in my opinion would be Wellness...you can chose between
the lamb,chicken or white fish...it's very good diet and even my picky
little Pomeranian loves it..it's a miracle!
Try a small bag first,just to see if your dog will accept its new flavor,and
yes,slowly introduce it in his/her diet by mixing it with the one he's
eating at the moment.
Take care
CJ

. net...

Old August 12th 03, 02:31 PM
Suja

Markeg wrote:
I need a good reccomendation on premium dog food. My 2 yr old Sheltie just
got tired of Canidae. He's been eating it for about a year. He usually
gets bored with food in 8-12 months.

I have been feeding Canidae for a couple of years now, and to keep
things interesting, I add other stuff to it on a routine basis.
Anything from a tablespoon of canned food, yogurt, and cottage cheese to
freeze dried raw. Never had any trouble with picky eaters, even
friends' dogs who wouldn't eat elsewhere but always ate when they were
staying with me. Some of these folks have had great success with the
very stinky Wellness white fish & Sweet Potato formulation as well as
Eagle Pack Holistic Select. Eagle Pack also has an Anchovy, Sardine &
Salmon Meal version that looks interesting.

Suja

Old August 12th 03, 03:57 PM
GAUBSTER2

I need a good reccomendation on premium dog food. My 2 yr old Sheltie just
got tired of Canidae. He's been eating it for about a year. He usually
gets bored with food in 8-12 months.
I am trying California Natural but it might be too rich for him. His stools
are a little loose.
Any suggestions?

Each of the foods you use come in puppy variations only according to the "all
life stages" portion of the AAFCO statement. I'm not a fan of ANY food whose
AAFCO statement says that is has been "formulated to meet" those standards or
that is "all life stages". Those are fine for puppies, but not for senior or
adult animals.

As for the Wellness from OMH, they are also "all life stages" and use
ingredients that come from feces. (enteroccous faecium which, BTW, has a MSDS
on it)