Scary incident at park...

Old December 16th 03, 04:37 AM
Nic

Default Scary incident at park...

Today I went to the park with my friend, Dani. I had Grant, and Dani had
her AmStaff, Emma.

As we were entering the park, Grant of course had to poop. I was pulling
a baggie out of my pocket when I heard growling & snarling. I looked up
to see a very large St. Bernard dragging a very small woman. The dog was
wearing a gentle leader or halti, which was attached to a flexie leash
that was locked on a short length. The woman was yelling at the dog to
stop. It wasn't until it was too late did I realize that the growling
was directed at Grant. She lost hold of the leash.

Panic mode! I started yelling lots of words that I can't type on here. I
tried to get Grant out of the way. I didn't see this part, but Pixie's
Mom said that the dog grabbed Grant's thigh as he flipped around. Grant,
being the least serious dog on the face of the planet, thought this was
all a big fun game. He didn't put a tooth on the dog, but danced around
playfully. The little fool seemed totally oblivious to the fact that a
dog litterally three times his size was trying to hurt him badly. This
worked out well, Grant was darting in and out faster than the big dog
could move. I don't think the dog managed to get another tooth on him.

During this, Dani had run to throw Emma in her car (which was just a few
feet away). Last thing we needed was TWO AmStaffs in a fight. I was
trying to get the big dog off Grant, and the dog's owner was trying to
grab it. She grabbed hold of her dog and was drug on the ground and
through Grant's poo, which I never got a chance to pick up. I kicked the
dog HARD twice, once in the flank and once in the shoulder/neck area. I
wanted to grab the dog by the collar or the back of it's gentle leader,
but was afraid of getting bitten. By the time Dani got back (which was
probably seconds but seemed like eternity) we had the dogs separated.

Grant has a nasty looking little bruise and his thigh was covered in
slobber, but he's otherwise OK. He was not shook up by the incident at
all. He's one of those dogs you can toss about anything at, and he just
rolls with it like it is an everyday occurance. The woman was VERY
upset. She asked if I wanted to take him to the vet. Dani & I looked at
his leg, and I decided that a vet trip wasn't needed at that time. She
gave me her name and number, just in case. It's a little bit swollen
now, I'll have somebody look at it at work tomorrow. I felt no need to
berate her. She was obviously very upset. I recommended that she take
her dog in for some training, and perhaps a gentle leader isn't the most
perfect way to control that particular dog. She kept saying that her dog
had never done this before. I pointed out that there was a first time
for everything. It sounds like the dog was a regular at the unofficial
(illegal) offleash area. Hopefully she won't take him anymore.

Dani and I went on to have a nice walk through the park. We saw some AC
officers walking around. I asked what I should do about the woman and
her dog, and they told me that since the dog was leashed and that
dropping it was an accident, that my only option was civil court. How
helpful. Hope that dog doesn't hurt another dog someday. I don't
understand why anyone would have a dog that big and not have any contol
over it. Oh well, at least the lady is covered in Grant poop!!

Aimee Nicole Schantz
Brando the APBT
Grant the AmStaff
Buster the Pug
http://www.odnarb.com
Old December 16th 03, 05:45 AM
dianne marie schoenberg

Nic wrote:
Grant, being the least serious dog on the face of the planet, thought this
was all a big fun game. He didn't put a tooth on the dog, but danced around
playfully.

Oh, those vicious pit bulls :-/.

I was
trying to get the big dog off Grant, and the dog's owner was trying to
grab it. She grabbed hold of her dog and was drug on the ground and
through Grant's poo, which I never got a chance to pick up.

*giggle* This was the best part of the story for me.

I recommended that she take
her dog in for some training, and perhaps a gentle leader isn't the most
perfect way to control that particular dog.

No kidding. And needless to say, Gentle Leader + flexi is a really,
really stupid combination in ANY case.

It sounds like you handled the situation very well. Please
give the big ol' goofy boy a kiss from me, OK?

Dianne

Old December 16th 03, 06:13 AM
tricia9999 is a dog murderer

you are a wonderful dog owner. You are incredibly responsible and we all
look up to you and strive to be like you. I speak on behalf of the group
to say that we are collectively breathless.

--
michael the rpdb heelping hand of wisdom and reason

Old December 16th 03, 02:48 PM
Sionnach

No kidding. And needless to say, Gentle Leader + flexi is a really,
really stupid combination in ANY case.

This story is also a perfect illustration of the fact that you can't use
the Leader to turn the dog's head when the dog's neck is stronger than the
human's arms.