Rounding up strays??

Old December 16th 03, 10:19 AM
Lynn K.

Default Rounding up strays??

Does anyone actually know of any place where Animal Control goes out
looking for strays to round up? Every place I've ever seen doesn't
have that kind of time and officers only go out in response to a
citizen's complaint about a potentially dangerous animal on their
property or in their neighborhood. The recorded message before you
get an operator at Animal Services in my area very clearly states that
an officer can only respond to pick up a stray if the stray is about
to harm someone, or has bitten already.

I think the "rounding up strays" is both a myth and a straw man, but
I'm willing to be proven wrong if anyone knows a jurisdiction that
actually does it. The only exception I've ever seen was a temporary
task force in my county targeting a particular neighborhood - after a
near fatal attack on a child and the finding that there were 26 strays
per square mile in that area. The task force operated only for a
month, and only in that location.

Lynn K.