MacKenzie

Old December 16th 03, 04:47 PM
Leah

Default MacKenzie

Well, I have a problem with Miss Kenzie.

She's about 1-1/2 now, and the last couple of times I brought her into
PetsMart, she e*hibited some dog aggression. The last time, she did more than
grumble - she seriously lunged at another dog. (And that's why it was the last
time. :}

She sometimes gets into spats with her sisters, but it's a lot of noise and no
contact. If she doesn't respond to a verbal, "Chill it out," I give her a 20
second time out in the bathroom. That always defuses the situation.

Last night I was sleeping on the couch (warmer there - it's down in the 50s
now). She was up there with me. When Murphy also jumped up there, she
seriously challenged her. She didn't attack, but her hackles went up, she
froze with a hard stare, and displayed threatening noises. A verbal correction
didn't phase her, so I took her by the collar (she will not turn on me) and
brought her into the bathroom for a time out. She was okay the rest of the
night, and didn't even grumble when the other dogs sought my attention.

Dog aggression due to lack of socialization I can handle. I'm not well-versed
in aggression that develops in a well-socialized dog during maturation. I'm
going to ask the behaviorist who works in the other PetsMart for in-person
help, but do you guys have any suggestions? I'm not worried about anything
happening when I'm not home. The trigger is *always* me - my attention. She's
not food or toy aggressive.

I know I'm going to get attacked for not knowing this stuff, but I never said I
was an aggression e*pert. :} It's my weak spot, and I know it. Like I said,
if it's due to lack of socialization, it's another story. That's pretty easy
to fi*, at least on a puppy. I haven't been to the dog park since she started
getting hinky, though she never displayed any aggression there - but I don't
want to chance it.

There has never been any tooth contact. So far, it's just noise and posturing.

As for boarding dogs in my home - not any more. Not with little missy acting
up this way.

PetsMart Pet Trainer
My Kids, My Students, My Life:
http://hometown.aol.com/dfrntdrums/m...age/index.html
Last updated June 27 at 10:00 a.m.

MacKenzie Leah Dog behavior 114 December 17th 03 10:24 PM
MacKenzie Leah Dog behavior 0 December 16th 03 04:47 PM
The Garbage Dumper Caught In The Act!!! Leah Dog behavior 0 August 11th 03 04:10 PM